really hot exhaust
Close
Login to Your Account
Yamaha Viking Forum

really hot exhaust

This is a discussion on really hot exhaust within the Viking Performance forums, part of the Yamaha Viking Garage category; Hello everyone I have a question. I had brought my viking to work and was showing the guys I work with my new toy when ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: really hot exhaust

Member #

Unhappy really hot exhaust

Hello everyone I have a question. I had brought my viking to work and was showing the guys I work with my new toy when someone noticed the exhaust pipe coming out of the engine glowing red hot. Runs fine and no noticeable problems but that does make me wonder. Is this normal or should I call my dealer about this. Any thoughts on this appreciated.

Member #
    Nothing to really worry about, theres a thread on here about it, and on the other Viking site, alot of us have made heat shields, and put exhaust wrap on the exhaust pipe, because the heat gets so hot on the rear Diff, Just read up on here about it, and see what ya think, no biggie though at this point.

2014 Red Viking
    28" Maxxis BigHorn 2.0s
    14" STI HD2s
    Yamaha HD Brush Guards
    12" LED light bar
    Warn ProVantage 3500
    Super ATV EZ Steer Power Steering kit
    Yamaha/SSV Works Overhead Stereo

Member #
    I believe one of the members on our sister forum cited a factory set "lean running condition" via air injection....to meet emissions standards...of course, lean means extra heat by-products....Although there have been.some.non-scientific approvals of the easy and effective cloth pipe wrap, I follow the heat shield approach as recommended until Yamaha or a tuning expert responds and informs that header pipe wrapping does not increase the lean running condition, etc...backed up by dyno numbers...

there have been reports of diff temps in excess of 200 degrees without a shield or wrap...and < 100 degrees with the mods....creeping and.crawling on a.hot day or aconstant utility load dont need any primers such.as unwanted,excess exhaust heat..
    RONN likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    VikingForum.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    I called my dealer today and told him I noticed on the exhaust he cut me off saying "red hot". I said exactly. He told me nothing to worry about he said on the viking its actually very thin titanium as to it won't rust and dissipate heat very quickly.

Member #
    thats what i was told too

Member #
    mine is red hot to, Where can I get the heat wrap?, Anyone know what i can do about the noise, at 25 MPH cant talk to the person Im riding with, thinking of taking 1/2 plywood puting behind the seat & cut out a ovel hole mount plexi glass for back glass.

Member #
    I got a 50ft roll of exhaust wrap with stainless zip ties on eBay for around 24 bucks.

Far as noise goes, check over on Vikingforum.org, and look for the threads about sound proofing hte Viking, few members have done diffrent things that they say have helped alot.

2014 Red Viking
    28" Maxxis BigHorn 2.0s
    14" STI HD2s
    Yamaha HD Brush Guards
    12" LED light bar
    Warn ProVantage 3500
    Super ATV EZ Steer Power Steering kit
    Yamaha/SSV Works Overhead Stereo

Member #
    I cut a piece a carpet and placed it under my seats in my viking. I did this to help with the window wanting to fog up every time I went through a creek or a mud hole and to my surprise it made the cab quieter. Worked for me, by accident, but you know what, how ever it happened it was a nice find. the carpet also knocked out alot of the heat from the motor coming in to the cab from under the seats.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben View Post
    I cut a piece a carpet and placed it under my seats in my viking. I did this to help with the window wanting to fog up every time I went through a creek or a mud hole and to my surprise it made the cab quieter. Worked for me, by accident, but you know what, how ever it happened it was a nice find. the carpet also knocked out alot of the heat from the motor coming in to the cab from under the seats.
    Yamaha has a sound dampening kit available now for the viking, installs under and behind the seats, around $75., helps a lot on the heat and noise coming into the cab, mine will be here this coming week, $92.50 shipped to Nevada

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Member #
    When it comes in and you have installed it would you post a pic. I would like to compare it to my carpet version, I did it the way I did because my brother-in-law is a flooring installer and I have plenty of carpet at the ready and so I used what I had and if it gets wet I can just change it out. plus I wasn't out of anything but a few minutes. But I would be interested in the Yamaha version. Depending on what its like.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links