Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The other night I dropped off an auger at Big Boys house for his tractor and he had just put a new exhaust tip on his Viking. The stock exhaust, while quiet, has just never set well with its thin, metallic, tinnie sound. He started it up, and the sounds was nice to say the least. Not overly loud and a clearer throaty sound. Needless to say but I went home that night and ordered one as I've never wanted anything over the top (and deafening) for an exhaust. The website was pretty easy to use and it arrived as they promised (and communicated which is always nice on a web purchase) yesterday right on time. I set about last night after the granddaughters birthday party at our house to get it installed.

There are literally dozens of references in threads on here about the exhaust bolts. They weren't BS'ing as the bolts are cheap and live in a hot, hot environment. I've worked on the hot end of jet engines for better than 17 years and those bolts spend there life at just short of 830 degrees Celsius so I've got a little experience in removing difficult bolts. What I'll tell you is even if you're extra, extra, extra careful, the bolts are going to break if they're going to break. I went 2 for 4 and batted .500 and my Yami only has just under 20 hours on it. Not a bad night for baseball but a horrible night for exhaust bolts. My high dollar Irwin screw extractors didn't even work. The end result was four new holes clocked about 45 degrees off, drilled and tapped and the new tip got installed with a generous amount of silver based anti-seize. I did install the 2R supplied spark arrestor. I did a before and after video of the sound for everyone.

The stock exhaust:
[video=youtube;pIATD29WTTw]https://youtu.be/pIATD29WTTw[/video]
The 2R Racing Exhaust Tip
[video=youtube;r-VsWyCgoh8]https://youtu.be/r-VsWyCgoh8[/video]

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see they make one for my wolverine..... I have always hated the sound of Yamaha exhausts. I may get this. Swap it out for warranty work. Lot of anti seize should keep bolts free.

Bob

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Same here

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5....and a lenght of string
I've been trying to figure this video crap out. Sorry but as soon as I do, I'll get them up. They are on YouTube under 6Foot6Bull. I've asked Rob for help on the videos as I've tried everything. Sent him the link. Anyone else that has an idea would be appreciated.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The videos have been fixed.

·
Registered
77 Posts
No whistle tip?
[video=youtube;Nnzw_i4YmKk]http://youtu.be/Nnzw_i4YmKk[/video]

Sent from under a mesquite tree while sipping on cholla juice.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
No whistle tip?

Sent from under a mesquite tree while sipping on cholla juice.
No but they need to make something like that for my dogs ass when she farts. SBD!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Website says no programmer needed. Is this true? You are still allowing more airflow??

2016 Yamaha wolverine r spec EPS.

·
Enjoying my Viking
540 Posts
You will not need a programmer for a tip change. But you might want to ask over on a Wolverine forum

Sent from The Green Machine

·
Registered
4 Posts
The other night I dropped off an auger at Big Boys house for his tractor and he had just put a new exhaust tip on his Viking. The stock exhaust, while quiet, has just never set well with its thin, metallic, tinnie sound. He started it up, and the sounds was nice to say the least. Not overly loud and a clearer throaty sound. Needless to say but I went home that night and ordered one as I've never wanted anything over the top (and deafening) for an exhaust. The website was pretty easy to use and it arrived as they promised (and communicated which is always nice on a web purchase) yesterday right on time. I set about last night after the granddaughters birthday party at our house to get it installed.

There are literally dozens of references in threads on here about the exhaust bolts. They weren't BS'ing as the bolts are cheap and live in a hot, hot environment. I've worked on the hot end of jet engines for better than 17 years and those bolts spend there life at just short of 830 degrees Celsius so I've got a little experience in removing difficult bolts. What I'll tell you is even if you're extra, extra, extra careful, the bolts are going to break if they're going to break. I went 2 for 4 and batted .500 and my Yami only has just under 20 hours on it. Not a bad night for baseball but a horrible night for exhaust bolts. My high dollar Irwin screw extractors didn't even work. The end result was four new holes clocked about 45 degrees off, drilled and tapped and the new tip got installed with a generous amount of silver based anti-seize. I did install the 2R supplied spark arrestor. I did a before and after video of the sound for everyone.

The stock exhaust:
[video=youtube;pIATD29WTTw]https://youtu.be/pIATD29WTTw[/video]
The 2R Racing Exhaust Tip
[video=youtube;r-VsWyCgoh8]https://youtu.be/r-VsWyCgoh8[/video]
I bought a new Viking last year and also thought it sounded girly. Love how your new tip sounds. Pls forward link where to purchase. Hopefully I'll have better luck with those bolts than you

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

1 - 19 of 19 Posts