Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious to see what percentage of Viking buyers are first time side by side buyers, or coming from having another brand. I've only ever been in a polaris and a Kawi Teryx. I'm anxious to take a Viking for a ride!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
YEP, i had a 2010 Ranger 500, that had an issue from day 1 off the showroom floor, close to 10 trips between 2 dealers, neither could or really wanted to find or fix the issue. I had always had Yamaha, and never had an issue, only reason i got Polaris, was the Rhino was to small for what i needed. When i heard about the Viking, couldn't sell the Polaris fast enough, lol. Love my Viking.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
i wouldnt EVER buy another Polaris product, much less recommend them to anybody

·
Registered
47 Posts
Jeez! That sounds like some bad blood between you and Polaris. What was the issue that seemed to be unsolvable?

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I do not like them, needless to say..

But from the day 1, when i took the test drive off the showroom floor around the lot, it died. Salesman said, "Oh, its just been sitting awhile". So bought it, and over the 2-3yrs i had it, it would drive around fine, but at times you'd come to a stop and at idle, it would ramdomly start running rough, and die, Wouldnt do it all the time, every stop, but it did it often, sometimes many times a day. Like i said, took it back between 2 dealers close to 10 times, none could ifind or fix the problem, it was in the shop weeks at a time. The last straw was the dealer just called and said to come and pick it up and they where done with it. They didnt want to find the issue, and Polaris didnt want to help them either, by replacing parts till something fixed the issue. Polaris was no help, nor was there dealerships.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Thanks, yeah, Yamaha has never let me down

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
bad dealers, and bad company, for not wanting to do more to help a first time Polaris owner, and thanks to them, be the last Polaris.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a 2012 ranger 800 xp. Wish the viking would have been out at that time. So far I have had to replace a fuel pump, axles, bearings on all fours, ball joints, steering rack and read several time on other forums that the stock air filter was junk and allowed dirt to get into the motor. So i have replaced it as well. Although, I have very little power up in the higher elevations, mechanic thinks damage has already been done and allowed dirt to get into the motor and cause some low compression. Wouldn't recommend a polaris at all. I will be getting rid of it in 2 to 3 years, much sooner if the 2015 Viking comes out with a bigger motor (more power)!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Sold my 2012 rzr 800 50 incher and I am picking up a camo viking with eps tomorrow.
The rzr was fun for trail riding but just sat at home and I never used it.
I am looking forward to doing it all with the viking.
Work, play, hunting ect.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Sold my 2012 rzr 800 50 incher and I am picking up a camo viking with eps tomorrow.
The rzr was fun for trail riding but just sat at home and I never used it.
I am looking forward to doing it all with the viking.
Work, play, hunting ect.
Nice! Sounds like exactly the hole in the market that Yamaha is trying to fill!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I have owned a 2012 Polaris RZR 900XP, a much different machine than my viking, but the fit and finish on the Viking is above Polaris, 2 of my Buddys own 2013 Polaris Ranger 800s, The Viking in my eyes is head and shoulders above the Rangers, I can out run them with my viking in a drag race, plus I am sitting comfortable while doing it. Also the Polaris gives off an obnoxious amount of heat in the cab! I hope there will be some aftermarket goodies for the Viking such as exhaust, tuner, full doors ect.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I have owned a 2012 Polaris RZR 900XP, a much different machine than my viking, but the fit and finish on the Viking is above Polaris, 2 of my Buddys own 2013 Polaris Ranger 800s, The Viking in my eyes is head and shoulders above the Rangers, I can out run them with my viking in a drag race, plus I am sitting comfortable while doing it. Also the Polaris gives off an obnoxious amount of heat in the cab! I hope there will be some aftermarket goodies for the Viking such as exhaust, tuner, full doors ect.
Any chance you could video that drag race? I'm sure all the Viking guys would love to see Viking domination :D

·
Registered
12 Posts
I watched my buddy's 07' Rhino " take a likin' and keep's on tickin'". I was able to see first hand how bullet proof the drive system is and the durability overall. I'm well past the "Go Fast" stage and need something for hunting and working. The Viking has all the attributes I'm looking for. I've rode the tyrex, Popo 550 and the Honda Pioneer. Of those (3) the Honda was the next one to the Viking, however, the Honda's transmission doesn't have a low range and I've seen Rincons struggle to turn some 26" 589's. I don't do a lot of mudding but still like the idea of a low range to help when needed. The Kawi rode GREAT and had plenty of 'UMPH" with the 750 V-Twin monster cranking out the power. I currently own a Brute Force and was able to see the higher maintenence(sp) needed to keep it running. Belt life was minimal and the 4-wheel drive enguagement required the machine to be moving before locking in. That's not worth a ___ when you get stuck and can't get the front end to pull!

I believe Viking2K14 and I are on the same Arkansas Hunting web site and he's already had a chance to read my assessment.

None the Less, I am a Viking owner.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any chance you could video that drag race? I'm sure all the Viking guys would love to see Viking domination :D
He is not gonna make a video of the race because it's just not true.. common sense will tell you there slower less cc and a lower top speed.. I doubt he even has a Viking.. He is just going off the Video the Yamaha has out. So I challenge you Viking owners to go find a new 2014 Ranger 800 and take your video camera and prove it... With drivers of equal weight and on pavement.. from 0-57mph oh wait Viking wont go that fast better make it 0-50mph good luck

·
Registered
12 Posts
He is not gonna make a video of the race because it's just not true.. common sense will tell you there slower less cc and a lower top speed.. I doubt he even has a Viking.. He is just going off the Video the Yamaha has out. So I challenge you Viking owners to go find a new 2014 Ranger 800 and take your video camera and prove it... With drivers of equal weight and on pavement.. from 0-57mph oh wait Viking wont go that fast better make it 0-50mph good luck
I agree that The Popo 800 should beat the Viking in a drag race, I mean your putting a V-twin with 100cc more displacement against a Single cylinder.I don't think that the Viking is actually directed to the 'Speed" side of the market. I can tell you from experience that owning a V-twin that they will flat haul :bootyshake: However, my exposure to the v-twin market came at a higher maintenance cost to maintain. The Popo's and Kawi's are aimed more for the sport side of a UTV, Viking is quite the opposite.

Each machine excell's in it's respective class with different attributes. The Viking/ Honda are the work horses of the UTV world and the Popo's, Kawi's and Can Can's are the hotrods. It's all about what you want, speed and maintenance or slower and durable?

1 - 20 of 120 Posts