Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I'm researching to find a tire/wheel combo to put on my Viking. I think I've read everything out there.

I bought a set of SE Rims off a Grizzly to put on my Viking thinking they were the same, they are not! These rims came with Zilla's on them in the same size as the Viking. When I was trying to install them (before I found out the back rims have different offsets on Vikings than Grizzly's) I weighed both combinations.

Grizzly SE Rims with Zilla's 24.2 lbs
Viking Steel Rims with BigHorns 33.2 lbs.

All I want is a nice looking wheel with just as good as stock tire. Now I know that even if I got spacers the SE wheels likely wouldn't work because of the center cap. I was very surprised to find out that there was a 9 lb difference between the two combinations of wheels and tires.

I don't want to add a lift kit or clutch kit. I'm happy with the way things are. I just want some nice looking wheels and I know bigger tires look better. I don't want rubbing ever, and I don't want to lose any performance. I'm thinking I should be able to go 27" with an aluminum rim and be about the same weight and thus not lose much performance and hopefully gain a bit top end.

Anyone know if 14" wheels add much weight if using the same size tire?

·
Registered
19 Posts
This wheel and tire combo came off my Grizzly 700. They are 14" wheels and 26" tires. I remember the SE wheels, do you just need to put some spacers to make them work?

The 26's looked goofy, so I went with an 8 ply 27" tire and am much happier.

The difference in weight is going to be marginal and I don't think adding 5-6 lbs of tire/wheel matters all that much. When you get to 28's and bigger tires, then a sheeve and weights are recommended.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
If you are wanting bigger tires, but you don't want to add lift, I would not go over a 27. I went 28 on mine and it did fine until I put it in a break bind and the the tires would rub the floor boards. Personally I love my Interco Swamp Lites, they ride great, they like all terrain, there 6 ply, they are not very heavy, and they look good.

As far as wheels go I have 14" ITP wheels. Can't beat a life time warrenty.

My 28's on my 14's weight in at 36 pounds. So you can probly go the same route as me and get by with 27's and be the same weight.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I tried 28 bighorn on 14" wheels .it rode rougher put 27"bighorn with sti hd3 12" wheels love the set of 12" rides good got better power also.the 28s pulled the engine down

·
Registered
17 Posts
I didn't weigh my 30" Zillas on 14" ITP's, but picking up the stock 25" tire in one hand, and the 30" Zilla combo in the other, they were damn close to the same. Hard to believe considering the size difference. Zillas are badass tires, Ive had them on 3 bikes now.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts