Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just passed 20 hours on my 2016 Viking but my exhaust does not get red hot like everyone else's I can tell it's running rich because you can smell the dilution in the oil. I guess it's possible that rings still need breaking in but I believe it's running rich. Also on a cold start it always needs a second cranking. First cranking it fires up but sputters out. I'll even cycle the key so the fuel pump primes 2-3 times. I've even tried putting it in neutral and slightly depressing the throttle and on a cold start, it always takes 2 tries. I'm wondering if the stealership may have richened it via TPS/programming as mine had 16 miles on it and was probably used as a demo.

It's also 20-30 F here so that could be it. My Rhino always started on the first try. I really wish you could enter diagnostic mode like you could on the Rhino to check TPS values. I guess I could check ohm values of the TPS, it was so convenient reading the display in diagnostic mode. I suppose I'll break down and get a power commander or Yamaha diagnostic tool (betting that's just as expensive)

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Started her up again today and she started on the first try. Exhaust is much clearer as well. One tip off that it could have been a loose spark plug wire was it would bog down occasionally and then recover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have 30 hours on my 2016 and have never seen the exhaust red hot. It always starts on the first crank other than when it's 10* outside.

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I never seen my exhaust red hot until I firmly seated the spark plug boot, which was definitely loose causing the rich condition. The glowing exhaust is most likely to happen while sitting idle for awhile. I just added a heat shield as well and rear diff now runs cool. Feel your rear diff after a run and you'll see how hot it gets from the header heat (run in 4WD and feel the front diff and you'll see it's cool).

·
Registered
4 Posts
I'll give it a shot. I did notice all sorts of new smells with the new machine breaking in. My problem is that I have not really been able to get really good seat time yet. Usually its 15-30 minutes around the property so far. Hopefully this summer I'll get out more.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts