Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am adding reverse lights to the v6, but I don't want the reverse lights built into the tail lights. I already mounted a couple led cube lights to the rear. I just need the wiring and whatever else needed to make them light up when in reverse. Is it possible to get the required connections without the taillight swap? Thanks, and if anyone would like to share what you done for reverse lights that would be great.

·
Banned
177 Posts
I am adding reverse lights to the v6, but I don't want the reverse lights built into the tail lights. I already mounted a couple led cube lights to the rear. I just need the wiring and whatever else needed to make them light up when in reverse. Is it possible to get the required connections without the taillight swap? Thanks, and if anyone would like to share what you done for reverse lights that would be great.
There is already a wire for the backup lights under the rear of the bed. All you would need to do is tap into the 4 prong/plug under the pass wheel well with the OEM relay and that rear wire would be hot when you put it in reverse. You could then tap into that particular wire and run it wherever you wanted.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
There is already a wire for the backup lights under the rear of the bed. All you would need to do is tap into the 4 prong/plug under the pass wheel well with the OEM relay and that rear wire would be hot when you put it in reverse. You could then tap into that particular wire and run it wherever you wanted.
My local dealer says I have to get the kit to get the relay. Says they are not sold separate.

·
Registered
231 Posts
figures, just another way the MAN keeps us down!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
figures, just another way the MAN keeps us down!
I think he was full of crap. When I look under the hood, one row of relays share the same part # the other row a different #. I just need to figure out what side this relay goes then order that part #. As far as the wiring harness, would an auto parts store be able to match the connector used?

·
Registered
231 Posts
The part number theory is valid though and I agree. I'm sure someone out there in the forum has a service manual or an electrical manual that may have the relay location listed. as far as connector it's going to to be a male of female connector or you could follow the wire out and use a 3m splice connector.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
SUCCESS!!! I found a kit sold online, that had part numbers visible. The relay is 5DM-81950-00. The wire that connects to the relay is 5UG-82583-00. The wire that connects at the tailgate is 5UG-82318-00. Hope this helps everyone wanting rear lights.

·
Registered
231 Posts
SWEET! Glad you found one! Keep the info handy I may need it!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My parts came in today. Got everything hooked up, and now have a problem. I have 12v at the rear when in any gear selection. High low neutral and reverse. What could be wrong? Any help appreciated.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Could it be wired incorrectly? Did the relay just plug into a relay panel so no wiring was needed? That is why I ask if it is wired incorrectly.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Could it be wired incorrectly? Did the relay just plug into a relay panel so no wiring was needed? That is why I ask if it is wired incorrectly.
Its wired correct. I did a search and it seems a few people out there are having trouble.

·
Registered
231 Posts
could it be in the wrong relay spot on the relay panel???

·
Registered
231 Posts
Great! Maybe it was looking for a ground. When the lights activated it worked as designed. GOOD to know! Congrats!!!

·
Registered
231 Posts
SUCCESS!!! I found a kit sold online, that had part numbers visible. The relay is 5DM-81950-00. The wire that connects to the relay is 5UG-82583-00. The wire that connects at the tailgate is 5UG-82318-00. Hope this helps everyone wanting rear lights.
Can you share where you got the kit at?
Thanks!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Project in work. I ordered the two leads and relay and will plug and play. Order my lights from Amazon. Should be here today.
Autofeel LED Light Bar 2PCS 7 Inch 60W LED Pods Flood Spot Beam Combo Off Road Driving Fog Light for Truck ATV Boat

1 - 18 of 18 Posts