Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Viking vi And ever since I bought it it has squeaked it's so bad it's embarrassing to drive it I have 60 miles on it and still makes the noise has anyone else had this problem?

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
It is very common and my Viking does it as well (especially when cold). Some will disassemble the brakes and lubricate the slider bolts but the noise will eventually go away on its own.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I also am having a squeaking in my right rear. I have had it since the first time I went thru a mud puddle. I have 50 miles on it. I will try brake cleaner first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Its in the junk yamaha pads, They squeak bad, mine had about 50 miles on it when I switched them all out, including the parking brake.
I used race driven pads, and no more squeak, Best thing I've done, the squeak would drive me crazy. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8 Posts
Its in the junk yamaha pads, They squeak bad, mine had about 50 miles on it when I switched them all out, including the parking brake.
I used race driven pads, and no more squeak, Best thing I've done, the squeak would drive me crazy. Lol
Any chance you have part numbers and vendors where you got the new pads? Mine has 170miles on it, and it squeaks so bad, i'm about to loose my mind.... Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
I finally serviced my brakes. Stock pads still had material left so I lubricated the sliders. What a difference it made and I wish I had done it sooner. Before I had trouble pushing my Viking while it was in neutral. Now she pushes very easily and I gained about 2 MPG, my rear diff runs cooler (even with a heat shield), and my CVT runs cooler as well.

It's not just the stock Yamaha pads that sucks, it's the lack of factory lubrication of the caliper and pad sliders as well as the brake pad springs. Yamaha uses silicon dielectric grease, which doesn't do well in cold weather and is too viscous to allow the pads to retract from the discs. I dry-lubed all of mine and re-adjusted the parking brake (the biggest culprit of creating drag).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts