Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, I just got a 2014 Viking with 750 hours on it. I know nothing about what's been done to it prior to me getting it. I do know it recently had an oil change but I think that's it. The check engine light came on the first day I brought it home. Is there a way to "pull" a code out like on a regular car or what could be the causes of this light? Thanks for all y'all's help, I'm new to these and to here, I did search the forum but didn't find the light discussed. The speedometer is not registering either so I don't know if these two items are related or not.

·
Registered
256 Posts
If start with checking fuses if the speedo isn't working. Check wiring/connectors for lose/disconnected plugs.

Never heard of the CEL on a viking.... Don't know about pulling does either.... I sure there's a hidden sequence to display error codes like the R6.

If you turn the key to on but don't fire up the Viking, what lights are on?

·
Registered
78 Posts
If I Remember correctly on my Grizz, you had to hold 2 of the pods bottoms down and turn the key on. This should put you in the Diagnostics mode.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OK here's the update. I talked to the dealer asking him how to retrieve any engine codes since the light was on. I was told by the dealer that it didn't work that way there aren't codes like on a car, he said you probably have grass in the radiator so flush it out with a water hose. I wasn't happy with this so I kept googling, I wasn't able to find anything on the Viking so I used info from the grizzlies. I found that if I turn the key on but don't start the engine, a number appears on the screen, in my case it was a small 42. I found that on a grizzly a code 42 means a problem with the speed sensor, which my speedometer always reads 0. I started tracing wires from the screen and found that under my center seat the wires to the speed sensor are cut/chewed/torn/something but anyway all 3 wires are completely severed. I will see if I can make a splice or see if I can replace the portion or wiring harness that is damaged. Needless to say, I'm not super impressed with the info from my dealer. Hope this helps some of y'all too. Thanks for y'alls help.

·
Registered
256 Posts
OK here's the update. I talked to the dealer asking him how to retrieve any engine codes since the light was on. I was told by the dealer that it didn't work that way there aren't codes like on a car, he said you probably have grass in the radiator so flush it out with a water hose. I wasn't happy with this so I kept googling, I wasn't able to find anything on the Viking so I used info from the grizzlies. I found that if I turn the key on but don't start the engine, a number appears on the screen, in my case it was a small 42. I found that on a grizzly a code 42 means a problem with the speed sensor, which my speedometer always reads 0. I started tracing wires from the screen and found that under my center seat the wires to the speed sensor are cut/chewed/torn/something but anyway all 3 wires are completely severed. I will see if I can make a splice or see if I can replace the portion or wiring harness that is damaged. Needless to say, I'm not super impressed with the info from my dealer. Hope this helps some of y'all too. Thanks for y'alls help.
Wow, glad you found the root cause.

I'm currently having some issues with mine as well...except my REVERSE light is on and my rev limiter kicks in at 24mph. I also used some info from the Rhino/Grizz forums, lol.

Hope that fixes your issue.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
bluerebel did you get yours fixed? Sounds like the reverse switch might be stuck or otherwise defective. I would think that switch would cause both the reverse light to come on and the rev limiter to engage at a lower speed than when in forward.

·
Registered
256 Posts
bluerebel did you get yours fixed? Sounds like the reverse switch might be stuck or otherwise defective. I would think that switch would cause both the reverse light to come on and the rev limiter to engage at a lower speed than when in forward.
Not yet. I just dropped off the Viking at the dealer on Sunday. Mine is still under warranty so I figured I'd let the dealer "pros" go at it.

I did some pocking around but I didn't want to run the risk of voiding my warranty.

Dealer is closed today so they'll start on it tomorrow. I'll keep you guys posted....I know I've seen this issue on other forums and no body has posted a resolution other than buying a new CDI.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Latest update. I was cleaning some stuff up on it the other day and decided to check the air filter. I pulled the top off and just about passed out from the smell, something in there had been dead for a while! I popped the filter out and found a dead mouse, I'm thinking the culprit of the damaged wires. He had started to decompose and his hair is all over the filter, so now I gotta learn how to clean that. I decide to wash the air filter box to remove the smell. I saw there was a drain hole in the bottom so I sprayed it out, but it didn't drain. So I figured it must be clogged, I tried to clear it with a stick, then realized it wasn't an open drain. I then removed the entire air filter box, which takes some doing. I then washed the air filter box out. While I had the box out I saw all the chewed up wires so I decided to go ahead and fix them. I pulled the harness out and spliced in some new wires, I heat shrinked them in, then wrapped them in waterproof tape, then super 33 electric tape, so they should be good to go now. I thought of just replacing the whole harness till I found the price of it online! When I pulled the speed sensor unit out it leak oil out, I'm assuming it is the crankcase/motor oil? I checked the dipstick on the engine and didn't notice it being to low. Once I got everything put all back together, I started it up and the dang light was still on, but I figured it might take a couple of cycles on and off to clear it. I then begin driving and viola the speedometer started showing the speed, and then the light went out. So problem successfully resolved. Thanks to everyone that helped out here!

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok here's the update. I talked to the dealer asking him how to retrieve any engine codes since the light was on. I was told by the dealer that it didn't work that way there aren't codes like on a car, he said you probably have grass in the radiator so flush it out with a water hose. I wasn't happy with this so i kept googling, i wasn't able to find anything on the viking so i used info from the grizzlies. I found that if i turn the key on but don't start the engine, a number appears on the screen, in my case it was a small 42. I found that on a grizzly a code 42 means a problem with the speed sensor, which my speedometer always reads 0. I started tracing wires from the screen and found that under my center seat the wires to the speed sensor are cut/chewed/torn/something but anyway all 3 wires are completely severed. I will see if i can make a splice or see if i can replace the portion or wiring harness that is damaged. Needless to say, i'm not super impressed with the info from my dealer. Hope this helps some of y'all too. Thanks for y'alls help.
the same incident happen to me with the speedometer not working with engine light on. I beleive field mice have chewed my wires. Did you find the wires by taken out the middle seat ? Also were you able to replace wires or repair them. ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts