Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
534 Posts
I just slugged the wet clutch and installed a Hunterworks Wolverine machined sheave and wet clutch slug in my 2016 Viking. I have stock tires and am using the stock secondary spring with 16 gram HV weights along with a .5mm shim. Figure I'd do a pictorial. Before my max speed was 52 MPH going downhill. That went up to 55 MPH on flat ground. Engine runs so much smoother (less boggy).

Pulling the front CVT cover is easy enough. I removed both snorkels. The coolant tube underneath is kinda tough to dislodge from the holder. I removed the cover first and then removed the attached coolant tube. Pay attention to the stock belt height on the secondary (spider cage previously removed, keep an eye on the spider cage pin dowels):



I used the long bolts from the spider cage to open the secondary. HW does provide a bolt with their sheaves to use.



Wood blocks help hold the Primary in place to remove the Primary nut. Make sure you use the beefier fin:



Once you have both Primary and Secondary nuts removed, remove the Primary moveable sheave, then the belt, and then the Secondary Unit, and finally the Primary shaft collar and fixed sheave:



Remove the rear CVT housing, giving you access to the wet clutch housing bolts:



Once the bolts are loose the housing can be a bear to get loose. You can GENTLY pry outwards on each bolt hole ear. I finally had to reinstall the Primary nut and washer and take some channel locks and use them as a sledge hammer puller. Remember, on the 700’s the wet clutch bolt is reverse threaded:



I used some plastic wrap to stuff into the cavity so minimal debris gets into the engine. I also wrap all parts I’m working on with it to keep them clean:



When I did my Rhino I put the wet clutch in a vise. This time I used a C-clamp, which made it a little easier to remove the clips:



I easily have 20 hours plowing snow on my Viking so I was really worried about the wet clutch. I was relieved to see the shoes in good condition:



With cover plate and washer spring removed slugs can now be added:



Wet slugs installed:



Wet clutch slug install complete:



Installed back in to housing:



New wet clutch nut installed (remember reverse thread) with red loctite and nut staked into place:



I took the extra precaution to re-lube the one way bearing and shaft bearing as I doubt oil gets in there easily:



Primary fixed sheave installed:



Wear pattern for future reference for where the belt rides with the new sheave:



Primary collar installed (cleaned and regreased):



I also serviced the secodary and added HW slippery washers (sorry no pics of that process). Wear pattern noted for future:



Secodary reinstalled and spread apart and belt installed:



.5 mm shim installed:



Primary machined sheave installed (don’t forget to grease the inside) and spacer washer installed over splines. Note how washer is centered. This is VERY IMPORTANT because if the spacer washer is not centered and is hanging over the splines when you tighten the Primary nut, you will cause major damage to your sheave and belt:



Ready to remove bolts keeping Secondary open:



Note the belt height compared to stock on the Secondary. From a physics standpoint, it’s an indication that the belt is lower in the Primary. I could have gone with more shims based on the clearance on the Secondary, but we’ll have to see how much room I have to go lower in the Primary.



Placement of wood for tightening Primary nut. I like to get both Primary\Secondary nuts as tight as possible by hand before hitting them with the impact wrench:



UPDATE: One thing I'd like to add is that it's better to install the Primary collar shaft into the sliding Primary, clean up any grease, and then install your cam plate. Place the shim on after the fixed part of the Primary and then install your fully-assembled sliding Primary. This is how I did my Rhino upgrade and had no problems. With the Viking, when I put the collar on first some grease that got swiped onto the outside of the collar which slung itself onto the sheave, which caused some slipping. I've seen videos of it done both ways.

That’s it. Hope it helps
 
1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Top