Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Banned
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My winch came already installed from the dealership. It is installed on a 2014 Yamaha Viking. My Viking has only 182 miles on it. The last two trips out I have had problems with the winch not working so I took it off the bike and disassembled the motor cap and found bad seals and corrosion damage under the cap so I called kfi for assistance to find out why? I spoke with Trevor at kfi who is in the tech department and I explained what had happened and he asked how long it sat on the lot at the dealership and I stated that I was not sure. He had me snap some pictures and send them into him. I sent them in and did not receive a call back so I called and he said he got them but it was not covered under warranty because it was water damage. He then proceeded to tell me he could sell me a replacement motor and I asked if this would solve the problem but he said it could happen again! He stated that it is not water proof but only water resistant and if kept in a garage from hot to cold it will create confiscation and ruin the motor again. I stated to him that I would not buy another motor that would just do the same thing again is just a little over a year. I explained to him that I had a warn winch on my 08 Yamaha grizzly since new and had been subjected to mud/water/riding and hot/cold garage and it worked perfect for the seven years that I owned that bike. Very very disappointed in the customer service and warranty from kfi!!! Usually not one to bad mouth but I think this is crap about the condensation from a dealership! Further more it sits on the front of a utv that is in water/mud and that is what it is designed to do!! These are the pics I sent to kfi.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Well I won't buy a KFI! thanks for the heads up. I'm thinking about the Harbor Freight Badlands 6000 and synthetic rope.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Dammmmmmm

I just come home with a KFI winch to put on my viking, Tomorrow after work I'll be returning it, man am I glad I saw this post.

Thanks for posting this
Ron

Reactions: Dupupp

·
Registered
8 Posts
I must give credit to Motoalliance. Makers of Viper winches. I had a motor issue with my Viper, called tech support and explained the problem, new motor at my house 3,days later. That's the customer service I like. No BS.

·
Banned
171 Posts
I have a kfi have had it almost a year now. Hoping I don't have this problem.
I have a kfi 4500lb wide spool for a year as well, snapped the synthetic rope last month first time I used the winch (operator error). Have noticed that the Manuel engagement dial is hard to turn, I would say it's full of muck and time to pull it apart and clean it out. From when I put it in I have noticed that the seals on that side have been weepy. When I service it and put it back together it will be given the hi temp copper RTV treatment to waterproof a bit better. Otherwise I think my next winch will be Viper. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Banned
261 Posts
So far it hasn't let me down but I think I will pull it apart in the spring for a look inside.

Sent from the top of Poop Mountain

·
Banned
261 Posts
Ever noticed you don't see any Warn winch threads, there's a reason, they're bad ass!!
Maybe but I don't see a lot of complaints about superwinch and they cost a lot less.

Sent from the top of Poop Mountain

·
Registered
40 Posts
Family members and I have never used anything but a Warn. Never any problems. They are higher in price, but never let me down.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts