Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have spent a considerable amount of time and effort working on different methods of making my Viking quieter. Here is a video you all might find interesting. After the video, I will add some links for the items I used.

First...I used a Flowmaster Hushpower silencer/muffler. I purchased this for $89 on Ebay and then modified it to fit the Viking. Took it to a local muffler shop for this...took them about an hour (This was VERY easy for them!) Next...I took my Viking to a local soundproofing company and asked them if they could come up with something. This particular company does everything from RV's to helicopters. They ended up giving me a bunch of MLV (Mass loaded vinyl) and different thicknesses of some closed cell foam. (I think they are getting $175ish for the kit + shipping)

I can tell you this....I now have the quietest Viking out there. I'm not claiming you can make it "golf cart" quiet. However, it is a night and day difference over what it was. At idle and lower RPM's it is as quiet as anything out there. At higher RPM's the soundproofing really deadens the engine and exhaust noise...so much so, that you start to hear that deep throaty sound coming from the air intake under the hood. The exhaust noise pretty much becomes a non-issue.

[video=youtube;edgSH7qzR70]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=edgSH7qzR70&feature=em-upload_owner[/video]

Link to the Hushpower muffler : NOTE: Everytime I post this video, the seller gets a bunch of orders and raises price to $105...but, in the past, he has been coming back down to $89 again after things settle down.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trk...+7100&_nkw=flowmaster+7100&_sacat=0&_from=R40

Link to the soundproofing company...you are going to want to talk to Randy
Best Soundproofing Materials, Noise Control Materials and Solutions by soundproofing.org

In short, you can complain about the noise...or you can drastically reduce it for the same as, or possibly less than, you would spend on a windshield.

Your choice!

PS: As a side note, the OEM bed may helps with this also. That big sheet metal bed is a VERY good resonator of any and all noise under there. Just think of a wind chime....sure makes a lot of noise until to touch it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Very thorough and informative! Hopefully this helps a lot of people that are looking to quiet down their Viking like you have done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Great job and definitely on my to do list now. I'm just getting started but like you I hate having to yell over top of that engine. Also, it detracts from the stereo when you're cruising along. Definitely a post I will be re-visiting very soon! Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Great information, good looking rig. thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
The new Vikings 3 and 6 seaters come with a panel behind the seats, down over the engine that's makes night and day difference.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Like MnT I have been soundproofing my Viking. I added the Yamaha soundproofing kit and then purchased three sheets of soundproofing 29" X 39" and 50 mil thickness with adhesive backing off of Amazon. Then attached the soundproofing to the front of the panels, under the seats and then kick panels. This has made a distinct difference while under power. We can carry on a conversation while moving on down the trail. I will add the muffler next.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I've got the Yamaha sound dampening kit, and the Sound proofing materials that MNT used, along with a Silent Rider exhaust silencer, and wow, what a huge difference, its so NICE to ride around in now, a pleasure really. Its so nice, that when i take my 3yr old niece out riding, puts her to sleep bout every time!! Cant beat that folks, she loves the Viking, said so herself.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Just wondering how are you guys getting these sound dampening kits, I've called several dealers and they have all told me that it cant even be ordered until October 28. I have used the stock part number and seen a few of them on line, at a few ATV sites but there's no pictures so I'm hesitant to order

·
Registered
78 Posts
Just wondering how are you guys getting these sound dampening kits, I've called several dealers and they have all told me that it cant even be ordered until October 28. I have used the stock part number and seen a few of them on line, at a few ATV sites but there's no pictures so I'm hesitant to order
Call a different dealer.... I traded my 2012 Teryx4 in on my Viking VI. The noise diff is TREMENDOUS!!! The Teryx is so loud at 20mph and up it has a high pitch whine that will for certain make u go tone death! Lol the Yammy is whisper quite from what I'm used to!

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
My local dealer said it was on backorder too, but i was reading few weeks ago on the other Viking site, where a member said, he had called his dealer, and they didnt have any, but they let him know about another dealer, that had 10 of them, which they have all been sold now, unless they got more. Called them up, and ordered me one!!

Somehow, you can call and some dealers say they are on backorder, and other dealers are getting them now.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The wife picked up our viking from the dealer yesterday. I talked to the guys from the dealer on the phone asking about the kit. They told us they only have the kits for the 6 seaters. Im guessing these are coming from the fatory like this and they hadnt got the kits or any info on updating the 2014 3 seaters as they are sold yet. I am going to check more into it when I get home.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
The kit is actually for both, says in the instructions/box, for Viking,Viking VI

·
Registered
9 Posts
Just ordered mine found it at Performance Product Technologies a marine store (perfprotech.com) bx searching the 1XD part #. cost me $83 shipped to the house didnt say if it was back ordered or not so I guess we will see.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Thanks guys, ddavis let me know if you get that please I saw that online but was hesitant to order. I live in Maine there are not many dealers up here, I called all the ones within a hundred miles, that would be 2 lol.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Just a heads up if you own a vinyl/canvas rear enclosure and have installed the sound proofing kit note your enclosure has to slide in front of panels 8/9 to attach to the bars under the passenger and middle seat. So you have to clip the zip ties slide the enclosure in and attach to the bars forming the seats then puncture holes:mad: in the canvas and reattach the zip ties. My canvas has a rubber type membrane so I don't think it will separate where I punched holes (sucks). It is what it is crap!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Backordered ETA 10/3

1 - 17 of 17 Posts