Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got back from 10 days off the grid on a cow elk hunt with a friend and the Viking.

Dang tailgaters:

After getting to camp first chore is to grab a chainsaw and round up some firewood:

Drove to a ridge top to do some glassing:

While up there buddy shot off a couple cow calls and this guy came in from the tree line over a mile away and 1000 feet down on the other side of the valley--even got a little vocal with us:
[video=youtube;1AW6RQEpS8E]http://youtu.be/1AW6RQEpS8E[/video]

He came in really close:
[video=youtube;09G3_Ojh6bM]http://youtu.be/09G3_Ojh6bM[/video]

Nice length on his rack:

Buddy got his elk down:

After dragging it to a nearby ditch to make loading it easier it fit nicely into the back of the Viking:

A nice sunset:

Making my way down from 9000 feet:

Shot mine just before sunset. No ditch nearby to make loading it easy. Ran straps through the legs to the roll cage and would lift an inch or two and cinch the strap repeating over and over until she was high enough to push the bed back down and fold the rest of her back in. Even flipped the bed mat over to have a smooth surface for it to slide against. Heck, gutted these things are 500 lbs making for nothing but hard work:

Finally loaded up after half an hour of repeatedly lifting and cinching straps.

At least she came out a whole lot easier than she went in:
[video=youtube;-oUVvrWqPQk]http://youtu.be/-oUVvrWqPQk[/video]

And the front winch makes it easy to lift her up into the skinning tree. Now if only some engineering type could build some contrivance to make it possible to use the winch to pull them up into the bed as well:

All packed up and heading for home:

Sent from under a mesquite tree while sipping on cholla juice.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Man you rich folks have it nice! LOL! That was some awesome footage. I really enjoyed that!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't know about rich now.

·
Registered
231 Posts
LOL!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75 Posts
Great footage and thanks. I've always drug my deer to the nearest sturdy branch and ran the winch cable up and backwards over the branch to pick the heavier animals up and swing them in to the bed.

·
Registered
231 Posts
I really enjoyed the scenery! Thanks for sharing it!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I know about those dang tailgaters! No matter how fast or slow you go, there they are! LOL!!!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great footage and thanks. I've always drug my deer to the nearest sturdy branch and ran the winch cable up and backwards over the branch to pick the heavier animals up and swing them in to the bed.
I was looking for any kind of sturdy enough tree but all we had nearby were some small joshua and pinion pines.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts