Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the winch is finished and now Im gonna try to make my own front windshield out of lexan and some tubing clamps. I was wondering if anyone else on here has taken on this task if so can I get some pointers before i go cutting this 130$ piece of glass. Any input would be much appreciated. Any other DIY mods would be cool to talk about on here for cheap skates like myself.

·
Registered
256 Posts
So the winch is finished and now Im gonna try to make my own front windshield out of lexan and some tubing clamps. I was wondering if anyone else on here has taken on this task if so can I get some pointers before i go cutting this 130$ piece of glass. Any input would be much appreciated. Any other DIY mods would be cool to talk about on here for cheap skates like myself.
I made mine out of 1/4" lexan....there is a thread on here all about it

·
Registered
32 Posts
I was going to make a lexan windshield and after realizing I was going to have around 250 bucks into it to do it right I bought one of the soft clear vinyl
windshields through Cabelas for around $30. It works great and can be be taken on or off in less than 3 minutes. They are well built and do a good job of keeping wind and rain off you. Glad I didn't go thru the trouble to make one.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I used a large piece of card board and traced the contour of the front of the viking where I wanted the windshield to fit at and then I traced that on to the plexi and cut it out. then I again used the card board to figure out just where It needed to be be bent, then I found the same place on my plexi, and using 2 pieces of angle iron one on each side of the plexi and putting C clamps to hold tension on the angles at the spot I wanted the bend. then with the help of my father and two heat guns we heated and bent the plexi to the angle I was after. there you go. that's how I did it. I also built the rear panel for it, keeps all the dust down, did it the same way. then I built the rear roll cage and mounted it in my bed and then added the Rumble seat to haul my 2 oldest daughters. So I guess I'm a cheap skate too. lol If I can do it myself, I'm going to. in the end you appreciate it more. I am currently in the process of building a new folding windshield and a 3 or 4 inch lift kit. Love tinkering, best of luck to you with your project. Hope this was helpful.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I was going to make a lexan windshield and after realizing I was going to have around 250 bucks into it to do it right I bought one of the soft clear vinyl
windshields through Cabelas for around $30. It works great and can be be taken on or off in less than 3 minutes. They are well built and do a good job of keeping wind and rain off you. Glad I didn't go thru the trouble to make one.
How's the visibility? Since it is made of soft clear vinyl, I'm curious to know if it is blurry.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts