Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking at installing one of those heaters in my Viking. To anyone using them how are they performing? Has anyone installed the Yamaha factory one and if someone did could they post some pics? I live in Newfoundland, Canada and I am not sure if 14600 BTU is going to be enough to heat up the cab properly.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Haven't installed mine yet either, but have learned you need to run a half inch drill bit down the 5/8ths inch tube and reem it out for better water flow, increases heater output that way

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5....and a lenght of string

·
Registered
256 Posts
I'm ordering one this week and will be installing as soon as possible. I'll post details when I can

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I went ahead and purchased a heater and installed it, not as easy as I thought it would be but I got it done. The instructions lack some details that I think should be there but you can figure the stuff out yourself if you are mechanically inclined, if your not I would stay away from doing this installation yourself. I tried the heater and it seems to give a lot of heat but I did not go for an extended ride yet. This weekend I am going ice fishing and the weather is going to be cold so I should have a good idea how it works by then. FYI when you bleed the air out of the system after you are done installation if you rev up the engine in neutral you will get a EPS warning light, in order to clear it I backed out of the garage 20 feet and drove back ahead 20 feet and the light cleared itself. The Viking EPS computer apparently gets mixed up if you rev the engine in neutral, go figure.

·
Registered
15 Posts
actual installing the summit heater in the cab under the center console is the best place and would be similar to firestorm heater except the summit puts out WAAAAAY more heat,, when a special fabricated face plate is used with the optional vent kit, one could add defroster exits on either side with 1 1/2'' plastic flex pipe leading up through one of the cup holders or drill extra holes through the dash (NOT MY OPTION!!!!!).. this installation was also installed with thermostat by pass WHICH KEEPS a constant temp output... this special fitting is not available and must be custom fabricated, is attach to the cylinder head and houses the thermostat and an threaded exit just below it .. included is a bypass to main rad! ..no i am not supplying pics as installing is NOT FOR timid or those "i WANT IT..."...so people you have two other alternative that might suit you ,, i choose to modify my installation similar to the Polaris razor which is a FACTORY suggested.. Constant heat!! no bs drill out fitting , this installation was suggested by the dealer... FOR the really really cold areas...

good luck with your installation
This is not a very helpful post, why even bother posting it?

·
Registered
15 Posts
AH ! as i said. NOT for the "TIMID"" and if you dont like it, as i said you have the other alternatives!!! go figure!! please dont complain of what you dont know! there was enough info in the previous thread for you to make it happen... but YOU NEED to do the research cause things dont come handed on a plate, as you figure it should be!!

i hope you understand my comment towards your useless bullying comment!
I am not bullying. Forum's are a resource for information. you hinted at having a solution without providing informative details. So why bother posting it then? I have already installed my heater and it works well. I also provided details on how I accomplished it on another forum (including pictures). A Forum that I find to be very helpful with a supporting group of members. So do not assume that I am timid.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Torradr I'm with you. I found your post helpful. His comment annoyed the piss out of me and i am for sure his comment is the most useless post I have ever read on here. If you don't like something keep it to yourself!!! No one wants to hear negative comments.

·
Banned
177 Posts
actual installing the summit heater in the cab under the center console is the best place and would be similar to firestorm heater except the summit puts out WAAAAAY more heat,, when a special fabricated face plate is used with the optional vent kit, one could add defroster exits on either side with 1 1/2'' plastic flex pipe leading up through one of the cup holders or drill extra holes through the dash (NOT MY OPTION!!!!!).. this installation was also installed with thermostat by pass WHICH KEEPS a constant temp output... this special fitting is not available and must be custom fabricated, is attach to the cylinder head and houses the thermostat and an threaded exit just below it .. included is a bypass to main rad! ..no i am not supplying pics as installing is NOT FOR timid or those "i WANT IT..."...so people you have two other alternative that might suit you ,, i choose to modify my installation similar to the Polaris razor which is a FACTORY suggested.. Constant heat!! no bs drill out fitting , this installation was suggested by the dealer... FOR the really really cold areas...

good luck with your installation
Just some words of advice because your post may receive a bit of push back. I have done many modifications on my Viking. Some easy and some not so easy. Having said that, the term "easy" is subjective. What i find easy may be difficult for someone else...AND what I found difficult might be a no brainer for the next guy. One thing that never changes is the fact that, when someone posts and idea, there are some that may improve or modify it...some that may tone it down a bit to fit their own abilities...and some that may copy it outright. The idea with these forums is to share ideas so that others can see an decide IF those ideas might make it so their rides are more enjoyable.
In short, your post is like saying...I have a way to transform the glove compartment into a micro wave, BUT it's not for the "timid" so I won't share any photos or details.
I am the originator of the Summit heater install, the lighted switch panels, the soundproofing kits and the silencers. Having said that, I have received FAR more info from these forums than I have given. And much of the info I have received has allowed me to do things that either saved me some head aches...or made it so my ride is much more enjoyable.
I would love to see some more info and some photos of your idea! I might copy it, I might modify it, or I might decide it's not for me. Either way, if you have an idea, it's much better to share it...BUT it is worthless to the rest of us if you don't. Remember, the next modification you do may originate and be a version of something you see on these forums. Pay it forward and share what you do...then let everyone else take that info and apply it in whatever way works for them.

JMO

·
Registered
15 Posts
Just some words of advice because your post may receive a bit of push back. I have done many modifications on my Viking. Some easy and some not so easy. Having said that, the term "easy" is subjective. What i find easy may be difficult for someone else...AND what I found difficult might be a no brainer for the next guy. One thing that never changes is the fact that, when someone posts and idea, there are some that may improve or modify it...some that may tone it down a bit to fit their own abilities...and some that may copy it outright. The idea with these forums is to share ideas so that others can see an decide IF those ideas might make it so their rides are more enjoyable.
In short, your post is like saying...I have a way to transform the glove compartment into a micro wave, BUT it's not for the "timid" so I won't share any photos or details.
I am the originator of the Summit heater install, the lighted switch panels, the soundproofing kits and the silencers. Having said that, I have received FAR more info from these forums than I have given. And much of the info I have received has allowed me to do things that either saved me some head aches...or made it so my ride is much more enjoyable.
I would love to see some more info and some photos of your idea! I might copy it, I might modify it, or I might decide it's not for me. Either way, if you have an idea, it's much better to share it...BUT it is worthless to the rest of us if you don't. Remember, the next modification you do may originate and be a version of something you see on these forums. Pay it forward and share what you do...then let everyone else take that info and apply it in whatever way works for them.

JMO
Well said mass, that was the point I was trying to make. You said it much better.

·
Banned
171 Posts

JMO
Also the spare tire holder, MnT for the win. Legend.
What ever happened to the Viking forums number 1 rule? Anyone remember? Anyone please?
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS.......
Cheers

·
Registered
15 Posts
Also the spare tire holder, MnT for the win. Legend.
What ever happened to the Viking forums number 1 rule? Anyone remember? Anyone please?
PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^THIS.......
Cheers

You are absolutely right ironhide

·
Banned
171 Posts
My 3yr old is never going to install a heater, would never have to install a heater. I ask the question does he look timid because of it? Sorry I forgot pics or it didn't happen.

Ricochet, we got just roll with the punches and when on the back foot, pivot and fire off bone crushing combos for a KO. Love the Forums, love the members, love the haters. Cheers
Oh no appears we have gone off topic again, my bad sorry fellas

·
Registered
15 Posts
My 3yr old is never going to install a heater, would never have to install a heater. I ask the question does he look timid because of it? Sorry I forgot pics or it didn't happen.

Ricochet, we got just roll with the punches and when on the back foot, pivot and fire off bone crushing combos for a KO. Love the Forums, love the members, love the haters. Cheers

Haha, look at the little ninja ready to kick some ass

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
For those interested I went out this weekend and I found the firestorm heater worked quite well, plenty of heat with an enclosed cab with the outside temperature around -8 degree C. I went out plowing during a storm and when I required more air to the defrost all I had to do was close the front vents on the heater itself and divert everything to the defrost. When I installed my defrost vents I put them more in the center of the dash instead of the outer part of the dash, that required me to lift the front hood plastic assembly off the Viking in order to make my connections but it works really well and the hoses are more protected underneath. This weekend was the first time I really got to try the machine in very deep snow and I found the tracks awesome. I did find out you CAN get stuck though but we had a blast. After a few minutes into the ride I actually had to turn the heat down since it was too warm in the cab and the dog was actually panting. Lol.

·
Banned
261 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts

JMO
WELL said Mass, WELL said!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts