Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to throw this out there in the hopes that YOU (Admin) at least consider what is happening here. I had voiced this same opinion in an earlier thread and I see my post has been removed???? I submit we have an open and civil discussion about this.

Regarding this rule in particular..."A promotion of competing sites and/or any other forums is not allowed. Repeatedly referring to other related sites is considered SPAM and will not be allowed."

This site has made it very clear that if another forum member has a question, and the answer to that question is readily available on a certain site with a very similar name to this one...it is blocked, or we get a nasty PM/hand slap. I would suggest to you that the entire purpose of these forums is to share ideas and knowledge with the idea that that the info obtained enhances EVERYONES experience with their own rides. That information could lead to more fun...or it could lead to saving someone some time/money/head aches. Further more, the sharing of information enhances the Viking brand itself as new users search the net for info and are directed to these sites.

I would ask: What are you afraid of? For the most part, most Folks are just trying to help out...but the severe censorship on this site makes that very difficult. This rule in particular makes it seem as though you are not so much interested in providing an avenue in which people can research and also vet their concerns and share ideas. It does seem that this site is more invested in sharing thoughts....as long as you yourselves agree with them, or the ideas only originate on this site? There are MANY similar sites for Vikings, Wolverines, RZR's, Fords, Chevy's, Dodge's...I could go on. Again, the whole idea is to provide a place in which people can talk about and receive info.

In short, in this instance what you are calling "spam" seems to more of just a convenient way/excuse of trying to ensure nobody gets any questions answered unless those answers are found on this site...and this site alone. It's as if your confidence level regarding this site is so low that you feel as though everyone is going to leave if they found out that there are other similar sites. To that I would say..."REALLY?" I belong to several sites, regarding many interests I have, and NONE of them treat their forum members this way. For me personally, the censorship itself has led me to venture elsewhere and I only occasionally come back here once in a while. For the most part, I feel as though I might have info or advice to offer...but many times I cannot because of the censorship here. I would say/bet that I am not the only one that feels this way either!

Please notice that I have not used any poor language and understand that I am truly looking for, and would welcome, your response. I feel that some of these rules are really detrimental to myself and the forum members on this site. Remember the cliche...the internet is the "information highway"

NOTE: For anyone else that might want to comment on this, PLEASE keep it civil or I'm sure this post will vanish.

For those of you that agree or disagree with my thoughts here, if you don't want to comment, it might help if you simply respond with one word..."agree" or "disagree." If the admin sees a common theme in your answers, it may lead to an improved experience for everyone! Again...PLEASE, PLEASE keep this civil.

M-n-T

·
Registered
15 Posts
I agree, I no longer create new posts in this forum because of the reasons you mentioned. I only come here once in a while to see if there is something I can help with or something I can learn from. Honestly there is hardly any activity on this forum anymore.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
The rule is more intended for instances of solicitation. Namely if you post a link to a fix for something that's one thing however if that same link is accompanied by something to the effect of 'you should go here instead' it becomes a solicitation to another site. That's what's not ok.

In the same way you wouldn't be permitted to walk into a Yamaha Dealership and start telling everyone in there to buy a Polaris instead, you'd be kicked out of the dealership.

You're right, this is to be a place where people share ideas, but it's also supposed to be a community, and when people start trying to get people to leave the community suffers. That is the spirit behind the rule, and it's that spirit that is kept in mind when that rule is either enforced or not.

As to the point of when it is considered spam, again it comes down to, you post 'hey go to this forum instead of this one' once it's unfair, when you post it 5, 10, 15 times, it's no better than the bots who post where to watch free movies or buy the latest fatburner, and will be treated as such.

Members are under no obligation to stay monogamous to VikingForum.net and we'd be fools to think they only posted here. We're fine if you want to divide your time across boards, it's a big internet out there, but it's not fine when someone deliberately tries to detract from this community to further their own, we can and should all get along just fine.

So, that in mind how would you like to see the rule reworded for clarity's sake?

Thanks,
- Goose

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
The rule is more intended for instances of solicitation. Namely if you post a link to a fix for something that's one thing however if that same link is accompanied by something to the effect of 'you should go here instead' it becomes a solicitation to another site. That's what's not ok.

In the same way you wouldn't be permitted to walk into a Yamaha Dealership and start telling everyone in there to buy a Polaris instead, you'd be kicked out of the dealership.

You're right, this is to be a place where people share ideas, but it's also supposed to be a community, and when people start trying to get people to leave the community suffers. That is the spirit behind the rule, and it's that spirit that is kept in mind when that rule is either enforced or not.

As to the point of when it is considered spam, again it comes down to, you post 'hey go to this forum instead of this one' once it's unfair, when you post it 5, 10, 15 times, it's no better than the bots who post where to watch free movies or buy the latest fatburner, and will be treated as such.

Members are under no obligation to stay monogamous to VikingForum.net and we'd be fools to think they only posted here. We're fine if you want to divide your time across boards, it's a big internet out there, but it's not fine when someone deliberately tries to detract from this community to further their own, we can and should all get along just fine.

So, that in mind how would you like to see the rule reworded for clarity's sake?

Thanks,
- Goose
Thank you for the response. I believe the rule itself is flawed because of the way that it's applied across the board. For instance....there have been several occasions in which a question was asked on this forum. The answer to that question might be in the form of a video or thread that has been posted on a similar forum. In the beginning several of us did this (and it went both ways) but then we started getting those PM's asking us to stop mentioning the other forum. Then it became clear that any mention of the other URL would not even work and the attempted messages were bounced. The intent was not to get people to jump ship here. Again, I am a member on many sites and this happens all of the time. If the same situation arrises on the other site (and the answer is located in a thread here) I have posted a link to that as well. it's all about the sharing of information...not the coercion of members to leave this site.
I would agree that you would have to protect your interests if someone was actively trying to get people to leave here...but this is strictly about the fact that if anyone on this forum shares a link to a video or thread that might have anything to do with a similar site (dot org) it is blocked. It leads to a feeling of frustration...which leads to a feeling of little incentive to visit or stay here.
Again, thank you for the response, however I strongly feel that the level of censorship here has gotten to the point at which the rules here (rather than members actions) are pushing more Folks elsewhere than anything else. In short, I believe it's not the rule itself but it is the way this rule is applied that is the problem.

M-n-T

·
Registered
75 Posts
Well put M-n-T.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Very well stated M&T.

Goose, like most of us, I'm a member of several different forums. One thing you can count on; censorship will lead to the demise of the site. Period.

No one can make members stay. They must WANT to stay. A welcoming, laid back attitude works.

Reactions: Mass-n-trash

·
Banned
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very well stated M&T.

Goose, like most of us, I'm a member of several different forums. One thing you can count on; censorship will lead to the demise of the site. Period.

No one can make members stay. They must WANT to stay. A welcoming, laid back attitude works.
^^^This sentence speaks volumes^^^ Well said!

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Thank you for the response. I believe the rule itself is flawed because of the way that it's applied across the board. For instance....there have been several occasions in which a question was asked on this forum. The answer to that question might be in the form of a video or thread that has been posted on a similar forum. In the beginning several of us did this (and it went both ways) but then we started getting those PM's asking us to stop mentioning the other forum. Then it became clear that any mention of the other URL would not even work and the attempted messages were bounced. The intent was not to get people to jump ship here. Again, I am a member on many sites and this happens all of the time. If the same situation arrises on the other site (and the answer is located in a thread here) I have posted a link to that as well. it's all about the sharing of information...not the coercion of members to leave this site.
I would agree that you would have to protect your interests if someone was actively trying to get people to leave here...but this is strictly about the fact that if anyone on this forum shares a link to a video or thread that might have anything to do with a similar site (dot org) it is blocked. It leads to a feeling of frustration...which leads to a feeling of little incentive to visit or stay here.
Again, thank you for the response, however I strongly feel that the level of censorship here has gotten to the point at which the rules here (rather than members actions) are pushing more Folks elsewhere than anything else. In short, I believe it's not the rule itself but it is the way this rule is applied that is the problem.

M-n-T
The word/words are no longer filtered but will remain in the spam filter, so by all means share the information, however, I ask that you do not solicit others to move to a different site. As you stated this is not your intention M-n-T, but this is stated more for information purposes.

I appreciate the polite dialogue on this. If everyone brought things like this to our attention in this manner, the internet would be a better place.

Thanks,
- Goose

·
Banned
261 Posts
Goose Please help me understand something:

Both the .org and .net forums are registered to VerticalScope.
Admins and Moderators seem to be shared across both forums.
The .org forum seems to have an order of magnitude more information and activity than the .net forum.
Why would VerticalScope care if new .net users were pointed to the .org site? Since the .org site is so much more active, I would contend that pointing new users there would significantly increase their overall ad revenue.

TIA for your response.

·
Premium Member
54 Posts
Goose Please help me understand something:

Both the .org and .net forums are registered to VerticalScope.
Admins and Moderators seem to be shared across both forums.
The .org forum seems to have an order of magnitude more information and activity than the .net forum.
Why would VerticalScope care if new .net users were pointed to the .org site? Since the .org site is so much more active, I would contend that pointing new users there would significantly increase their overall ad revenue.

TIA for your response.
Simply put, we are in the business of growing and building communities. We'd rather see both communities thrive than sacrifice one for the other.

- Goose

1 - 13 of 13 Posts