Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone out have the same problem as my Viking, When you let the bike warm up the exhaust will glow cherry red, witch I think is a little extreme and worried about the amount of heat coming from the exhaust.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Im a Moderator over on Vikingforum.org, theres lots of talk about it there, and help and solutions for it.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
i went on a ride about 2-3 mile round trip, and the diff got up to about 230 degrees, after i put on the exhaust wrap and custom heat shield, same trip, the diff was 61 degrees. Well worth the protection.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was going to get my exhaust ceramic coating done to it but was worried that it will keep to much heat in, and my dealer keeps screwing around and won`t give me a answer if this will void my warrenty??

·
Registered
256 Posts
Im heat wrapping mine on friday when it gets here....i dont have any glowing pipe but i want to be safe than sorry..no heat sheild for me...my theory is the heat sheild with no insulation on it is just a broader surface to absorb and retain heat.although alot of people are doing sheilds..but i dont know..i am going to heatwrap it for now and hope for the best...6 month warranty isnt something i want to expire And have problems later...wrap and clamps 30 bucks on amazon..ill post pics when done

·
Registered
6 Posts
The red glow at idle is created by the exhaust air injection system operating. These engines are operating lean to meet the new emissions standards.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My Viking glows when I`m driving it as well even now up here in Canada It`s -15 and driving at 30mph and the pipe glows cherry red

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Nce work there, should work out great!!

·
Registered
256 Posts
Thanks, yea I think it should... Last nite I rode for probably 15 minutes round the yard till the smoke stopped and it was good and warm... After I parked it I could pretty much touch the wrap on the pipe...Typically that would melt your finger tips off..And for those of you on the fence about header wrap.. My uncle has been a mechanic for 40 years and told me it has no negative effects on the motor at all.. A few tips......soak the wrap in water for 5 minutes before putting it on, it stretches and wraps tighter and neater, and wear rubber gloves. The stuff makes your arms and hands itch like crazy... I did it myself in a half hour but Id recommend gettn a buddy ta help

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Glad it worked out for ya, when we put ours on, i hadnt heard the tip on soaking it in water, so we didnt do that, but its working fine, and with the Aluminum heat shield i made out of the 2 aluminum plates, it made a big difference in the Temps on the Diff.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Has anyone received a reply from Yamaha on this issue? If the differential gets as hot as everyone says this could mean big trouble.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Has anyone received a reply from Yamaha on this issue? If the differential gets as hot as everyone says this could mean big trouble.
I haven't seen any official response and everyone Ive heard from that called the dealer they say they havnet heard of it before....Most of us just seem to be taking a precaution as to not let it become an issue down the road,,, sucks but whatya gonna do??

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Awesome to hear that!!! Its a very good mod to do.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
No problem at all.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Looking good, i haven't heard anything about the issue in awhile.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts