Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there make their own lift kit? I am getting ready to fabricate one just curious about the approach some of you all might have made.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I fabbed my own ill try to get pic and details up Monday ... next day off so ... I got all angles covered axle angle when they bind , center to center hole for how much lift you want . preloading the dual rate springs and how much you would need.

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I fabbed my own ill try to get pic and details up Monday ... next day off so ... I got all angles covered axle angle when they bind , center to center hole for how much lift you want . preloading the dual rate springs and how much you would need.
How did you preload your springs since they are not adjustable?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Handwriting Rectangle Font Schematic Parallel Motor vehicle Light Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Rim Wheel Tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive tire Wheel Motor vehicle Tire Tread hope this make shift print helps im not the best in a hurry lol... well the spacer for my preload is a 1 1/2 inch 95 wall cage tube cut half inch and slotted I found it to be perfect ride for me ... the rear lift plates are on the outside of the stock brackets . used a piece a pipe in-between stock mount for anti crush and washers on the top mounts on the inside of plates to compensate for the thickness of stock mounts. the front mounts are little tricky because of the rounded perch but with little cardboard can perfect ... now with the front I mounted both plates in front of the stock mount so I didn't need washers but still used anti crush pipe. the shock holes are 1 1/2 center to center to give roughly 3in lift ... 1 inch center to center gave 1 3/4 lift ... with the 3 inch lift my rear axles sit with 27 degree axle angle ... did more lift but found I had started to get axle bind at 30 degrees ... front is good with it not even close to binding I have 980 miles on the rig and no issues yet and I disassemble everything and go thru it to see what parts are gonna fail nothing yet so... hope this helps im sure I forgot something .. ?s let me know... cheers

Reactions: Ben

·
Banned
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
View attachment 435 View attachment 436 View attachment 437 View attachment 438 hope this make shift print helps im not the best in a hurry lol... well the spacer for my preload is a 1 1/2 inch 95 wall cage tube cut half inch and slotted I found it to be perfect ride for me ... the rear lift plates are on the outside of the stock brackets . used a piece a pipe in-between stock mount for anti crush and washers on the top mounts on the inside of plates to compensate for the thickness of stock mounts. the front mounts are little tricky because of the rounded perch but with little cardboard can perfect ... now with the front I mounted both plates in front of the stock mount so I didn't need washers but still used anti crush pipe. the shock holes are 1 1/2 center to center to give roughly 3in lift ... 1 inch center to center gave 1 3/4 lift ... with the 3 inch lift my rear axles sit with 27 degree axle angle ... did more lift but found I had started to get axle bind at 30 degrees ... front is good with it not even close to binding I have 980 miles on the rig and no issues yet and I disassemble everything and go thru it to see what parts are gonna fail nothing yet so... hope this helps im sure I forgot something .. ?s let me know... cheers
Like the work and great description. Did you weld the front lift brackets or does the curve keep them from moving?

·
Registered
52 Posts
the curve and the smaller bolt... and thanks :) oh and no I didn't weld it ... I make everything so it can be removed and put back to stock if needed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Looks good. Might have to try the rear shock preload spacers

·
Registered
14 Posts
View attachment 435 View attachment 436 View attachment 437 View attachment 438 hope this make shift print helps im not the best in a hurry lol... well the spacer for my preload is a 1 1/2 inch 95 wall cage tube cut half inch and slotted I found it to be perfect ride for me ... the rear lift plates are on the outside of the stock brackets . used a piece a pipe in-between stock mount for anti crush and washers on the top mounts on the inside of plates to compensate for the thickness of stock mounts. the front mounts are little tricky because of the rounded perch but with little cardboard can perfect ... now with the front I mounted both plates in front of the stock mount so I didn't need washers but still used anti crush pipe. the shock holes are 1 1/2 center to center to give roughly 3in lift ... 1 inch center to center gave 1 3/4 lift ... with the 3 inch lift my rear axles sit with 27 degree axle angle ... did more lift but found I had started to get axle bind at 30 degrees ... front is good with it not even close to binding I have 980 miles on the rig and no issues yet and I disassemble everything and go thru it to see what parts are gonna fail nothing yet so... hope this helps im sure I forgot something .. ?s let me know... cheers
Do you have a diagram on the Front plates you made i like what you have done and trying to see i can get some of my machinist to make me some.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Very informative and a huge help. I am in the process of using your design to build mine now. Thanks for sharing this info.

Reactions: BigDaddy907

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Finished my lift kit, this is my viking with the 28's and the lift sitting beside my dads Rhino with a 2" lift and the stock 25's. he has a set of 26's he uses for trail riding but decided to leave them off for as close of a comparison to stock as we could get. the Viking is a beast. Can't wait to try it out on the trails. Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Plant

·
Registered
14 Posts
Can anyone help me with the front lift plates i am no fabricator and trying to learn and get my machine guys at work to help me but cant bring my viking to work. I know it has that radius but not sure how to match it. Can some one help a rookie with this?

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
I used a piece of card board to make the prototype and then I traced that over onto my steel, then I cut it out and placed the steel up to the factory mounting plate and marked my holes, then I drilled the holes and used the one single piece to create a 3 more of them all together giving me 4 plates. then I bolted them and adjusted the front suspension to the height I wanted and marked the location for the lower shock bolt and removed the plates and drilled the holes. panted the brackets and installed them. my lift plus my 28" tires give me 15" of ground clearance up front and 14 in the rear, and near 17" to the bottom of the bar under the floor board.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Man that's huge i am hoping to get close to that i have 30" rocktanes now and they scrub bad so i need a good 2" or so and i will be riding clean. I hope???

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is there a company who makes the triangle extended mount that you fabricated ?? I had bought some for my Ranger from Marshall Motoart , they have a website, but only build for Polaris. I fabricate myself and saved my lift off my Ranger to use as a pattern on another machine. The lift was full 2.5" and took 30 minutes to install. Anyone can look at the Marhall kit and install video and get a good idea of what you need to make. My 2 cents...

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
Not sure, I looked around on line to see what company offer what, and what they look like, then I looked on here and found the blueprint on this forum, and ended up sitting down and designing my own. I used the triangle type front piece but went a different route on the rear which I believe will be stronger.

·
Premium Member
218 Posts
WOW, I just went to Marshall Motoart's website and looked at there kits. they sure are proud of there lift kits, no more than what is involved in one they sure charge enough. I don't see more than maybe $30-$40 worth of material there not $189. I think I had 2 or 3 hours involved in building mine, starting from nothing, and around $35 in material.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Not sure, I looked around on line to see what company offer what, and what they look like, then I looked on here and found the blueprint on this forum, and ended up sitting down and designing my own. I used the triangle type front piece but went a different route on the rear which I believe will be stronger.
Id like to see what you did in the rear , if you say its stronger I might have to switch mine.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts