Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I've been researching for almost a month now and have checked out both a 2013 Gator 825i in person and the Viking. I was just curious if I could get any input on the pros/cons of going with a Viking over the Gator? Yes I understand there was a video made that compares the 2 but its comparing the older Gator (2011 model). I'm mostly going to be using the Viking on roughly 80 acres of somewhat steep farm land with 45 acres of it being woods. The only Con I've seen in person is the crazy "seizure" like idle that occurs with the Viking.

Currently looking at these deals:
* 12.5k after taxes for a EPS Yamaha Viking Blue with a roof installed.
* 14.1k after taxes for a EPS Gator Camo with a roof, deluxe cargo bed, and brush guard.
* 12.4k after taxes for a non - EPS Gator with a roof and brush guard.

thanks!

The hills will roughly be clay as I reside in Northern West Virginia (yes its a state).

·
Registered
29 Posts
not sure what you mean by "seizure" like ride. never been in a gator, but had a Rhino and the Vike is like Rhino on steroids, you can't go wrong. I run on 6000 acres, over hills steep enough for the novice to crap there pants, across large creeks which out west would be rivers and over old coal mine slag piles with dead deer and turkeys in the bed as well as plowing snow and spreading salt in northeast PA your neighbor

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Cant go Wrong with the Viking, or Yamaha Period, ive always had Yamaha's, and they've never let me down once. Tried one Polaris, and that's all it did till i sold it, was disappoint.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Ive never had a JD either, so cant say anything about them.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I must say the JD felt like I was driving a bus. I have no clue if its just due to sitting up higher above the steering wheel or the acceleration. I'm really just curious if I can do normal farm maintenance with the Yamaha i.e. fence, feed, animals etc... without the worry of the cargo bed being weighed down too much.

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I think you'll do great with that kind of work with the Viking, ive seen folks haul cut up firewood piled in the bed up to the roof level, and it does just fine, thats what its really built for is hard work, hunting, play.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Yamaha is very conservative with their weight limits-liability stuff. I can tell you from personal experience after owning a
Yamaha Kodiak and Viking that they will handle LOTS more than Yamaha recommends. I also checked out JD and felt
they were well made but heavy, clumsy and had no leg room due to the fenders in the way. The Viking is way more comfortable and agile than the JD 825. In the end JD-good for utility/farm..Viking does it all with lots of fun included.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I was comparing the JD gator RSX 850 and the viking. We get a $500 discount through my wife's work at JD. JD dealer said the gator is heavier than most. I did like the "fun" feel or the RSX. Basically it was JD's attempt at a RZR wanna be. read several threads that mentioned mud in transmission dip stick, JD just replaces engine under warranty.

ended up with the Viking for the power steering for my wife when she drives, and the 3rd seat for the 5 year old in the middle. My 10 year old drives a rzr 170. He and I both liked the JD for the sportiness, but other things weighed out more and led us to viking.

The ultramatic transmission and the reputation of Yamaha is what led us to viking.

We have a JD gator at the school where I work and I have used it several times to haul trash from my shop, that thing has been abused by coaches, maintenance, and field workers. Still holds up.

Each has pros and cons. Biggest differences are weight and power steering

1 - 8 of 8 Posts