Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bought a new Viking VI last spring and the maintenance manual calls for fluid changes after the break in. I'm remote Alaska so will have to do it myself. Any special tools required to change gearbox fluid? All tips appreciated.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
I'm going to assume the front/rear diffs are the same on the VI as the regular Viking. The gearboxes are a PITA to fill. The front is easy enough to do with one of these:

https://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-10106B-FloTool-Filler-Refill/dp/B000EH4UXM

The rear diff fill hole is even smaller so you'll need a small straw to insert into the above tool. Do yourself a favor and refill with Mobil 1 75-90 synthetic or better. The rear diff fluid gets really hot due to the heat transmitted from the exhaust header and breaks down fairly quickly as a result (even at winter temps). Buy or fabricate a heat shield. I'm guessing it's winter up there? The oil will come out like molasses so go for a run in 4WD to warm it up good. Even at only 10 F here I had to help it along with a heat gun and I let mine drain overnight. Synthetic will go in like Maple syrup vs molasses.

I would also use a funnel on the rear diff to guide the drained oil to the hole provided in the floor pan as it doesn't hit that hole and spreads out on the floor pan instead.

·
Registered
21 Posts
did my first service yesterday,it looks like the Viking and wolverine use the same diffs ,I don't understand why they use such a small fill hole on the rear diff. the rear a arm bushings are easier to grease than the wolverine. has anyone made a diiferent access to the dipstick without raising the bed?

·
Super Moderator
534 Posts
Yeah, it's a real PITA with that small hole. You almost have to use a syringe to fill it. I had nothing on hand when I changed my rear diff oil out and it took me half a day to gravity fill it. Front diff took me all of 20 minutes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I took the front skid plate off to change oil in the front diff and the middle seat off to grease the rear of the drive shaft.I put my 26'' mudlite xtrs on and gained about 1/2 '' clearance,waiting for the 2'' lift kit now.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
trailcutter, how are you liking it so far compared to the Wolverine. Any big differences that you like or dislike?

·
Registered
21 Posts
trailcutter, how are you liking it so far compared to the Wolverine. Any big differences that you like or dislike?
I find the Viking is quieter with the engine at the back,the ride is a bit rougher but not bad,i like the bigger tipping bed and being able to access the engine and drive system without removing it although it is harder to check the engine oil having to lift the bed,i also like the lower seat backs as I can turn to look back easier,i liked the center console for storage on the wolverine,but have the underseat storage on the Viking,it is also nice to be able to bring an extra passenger along,power wise seem the same,i find although the Viking wheel base is longer It steers sharper,except for my sagging shocks no regrets so far.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts