Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I purchased a 2018 VI Camo last week. I have been reading everything I can about the machine. I like all of you, want to add mods but have concerns about voiding the 3 year warranty and affecting ride quality, parts, transmissions, etc.. I would love your input whether you are a pro or novice. I would like to also make sure it still fits in my standard 7' garage opening. So here are the questions:

1. Lift size and recommended manufacturer?
2. Wheels/tires max size without a new clutch?
2a. Max tires size that can be added to stock wheels?
3. If a clutch is added, what brand recommended and the difficulty level to install? Does it void your warranty? Does it add much power, as my wife will mostly drive it so I don't need it to be a beast. (she will follow me and my son on dirt bikes)
4. Mirror recommendations?
5. Roof recommendations?
6. Stereo/speaker recommendations?
7. Windshield recommendations?
8. Any other mods that are needed or recommended?
9. Best website to buy mods....

I appreciate any and all input. I look forward to the help. So far we have 3 miles LOL and plan on putting many more this summer.

Dwight and Misty Sullivan
League City, TEXAS (Houston metro area)

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
The Viking 6 is a large heavy vehicle built around the Grizzly 700 quad, using the same engine and clutch. You pretty much have to add a modified clutch regardless of tire size. Hunterworks.com has a great kit for the Viking 6 which converts it to grease-less and restores much of its power.

·
Banned
31 Posts
It's ashame I couldn't help you out. 8 days later and not another reply. My help got deleted. Hope you caught some of the info. Pm me if you need any help.

·
Vendor
54 Posts
So I purchased a 2018 VI Camo last week. I have been reading everything I can about the machine. I like all of you, want to add mods but have concerns about voiding the 3 year warranty and affecting ride quality, parts, transmissions, etc.. I would love your input whether you are a pro or novice. I would like to also make sure it still fits in my standard 7' garage opening. So here are the questions:

1. Lift size and recommended manufacturer? I like the StrongMade kit, its adjustable from 2-3", available from UTVHeadquarters. If you want more clearance, check out Catvos
2. Wheels/tires max size without a new clutch? Just my opinion, but I think 28"s are the biggest you should go considering the machine's power to weight ratio and recommend a Hunterworks clutch no matter what size tire you choose
2a. Max tires size that can be added to stock wheels? ^^^ See above
3. If a clutch is added, what brand recommended and the difficulty level to install? Does it void your warranty? Does it add much power, as my wife will mostly drive it so I don't need it to be a beast. (she will follow me and my son on dirt bikes) Hunterworks, great set up, easy installation, install video, great design and customer service is second to none! It "should not" void your warranty, however, every dealership is different. I would recommend consulting your dealer if you are worried about it.
4. Mirror recommendations? Siezmik is probably the most popular, but check out UTVHeadquarters or sidebysidestuff.com, several options to chose from
5. Roof recommendations? other than the plastic factory one, there are a couple of companies that make a fiberglass roof and an aluminum one.
6. Stereo/speaker recommendations? SSV Works is very popular
7. Windshield recommendations? This one is going to be personal preference. Half or full, folding or solid. Pay attention to the mounting brackets the manufacturer uses and make sure its made with scratch resistant plastic
8. Any other mods that are needed or recommended? All the above is a great start
9. Best website to buy mods.... I listed a few above, or you can try google search

I appreciate any and all input. I look forward to the help. So far we have 3 miles LOL and plan on putting many more this summer.

Dwight and Misty Sullivan
League City, TEXAS (Houston metro area)
Hope this helps and welcome to the forum from your Texas neighbor!

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I cannot stress the need for purchasing a powercommander 5 for your vehicle enough. Besides adding proper fuel levels to your changing mods easily, it will raise the rev limiter to a more normal range. This allows you to run lighter weights in your sheave kit. This is extremely important with the Vikings as they need as much torque transferred from the engine to the wheels as possible. Running lighter weights also translates to higher cooling fan speed and more air over the sheaves and your belt. You can get the Powercommander from Hunterworks.com at a very reasonable price, pre-programmed already, just plug and play,.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I appreciate the input everyone. I did find a windshield, Yamaha, and some new tires. Went w 27", but found it didn't raise the viking much, maybe an 1/4 inch at most. I took the viking to an ATV park in Marble Falls, TX this weekend and found out a few things.

1. I need more power, its fine for piddling around but I couldn't keep up with a couple buddies on dirtbikes, and climbed very slow up the steep hills. (of course I had wife and kids in tow)

2. The Viking needs a lift, as I high centered a couple of times on not so high areas.

3. A radio is a must!

4. The bed rattles around and needs an ice chest or some weight to keep it from vibrating.

5. Seatbelts are horrible, the designer must have been a hundred pound Japanese guy that was into S&M, as its meant for small people and pins you down real hard. I need to find a good mod for that inconvenience.

Overall we had fun and love that the Viking VI can handle everyone. We plan on looking for new places to ride. Thanks everyone.

·
Vendor
54 Posts
I appreciate the input everyone. I did find a windshield, Yamaha, and some new tires. Went w 27", but found it didn't raise the viking much, maybe an 1/4 inch at most. I took the viking to an ATV park in Marble Falls, TX this weekend and found out a few things.

1. I need more power, its fine for piddling around but I couldn't keep up with a couple buddies on dirtbikes, and climbed very slow up the steep hills. (of course I had wife and kids in tow)

2. The Viking needs a lift, as I high centered a couple of times on not so high areas.

3. A radio is a must!

4. The bed rattles around and needs an ice chest or some weight to keep it from vibrating.

5. Seatbelts are horrible, the designer must have been a hundred pound Japanese guy that was into S&M, as its meant for small people and pins you down real hard. I need to find a good mod for that inconvenience.

Overall we had fun and love that the Viking VI can handle everyone. We plan on looking for new places to ride. Thanks everyone.
Did you guys ride at Hidden Falls?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes, we rode hidden falls. Enjoyed the park but I didn't think it was all hyped up to be. Any suggestions of other fun parks?

·
Registered
3 Posts
We installed the Wetsound 10 soundbar and LOVE IT! I hate the seat belts. My neck has a huge mark on it from a weekend on trails. We tied down a spare tire and hi-lift jack in the back (just in case) and no rattling..

I'm guessing the power commander mentioned above would help with power? We did great on desert trails but heated up, I think after reading several posts my radiator must be clogged. 2018 Viking VI Ranch Edition, only a month old. Super annoying to happen out on the trails.

Reactions: OLDSCHOOL
1 - 11 of 11 Posts