Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going to buy some ITP HURRICANE 12 inch wheels 12x7 with some 26x9x12 and 26x11x12 tires 6ply I ride mostly trails and some light mud, no mud holes and I do some slow rock crawl , I don't really want to mess with the clutch I'm happy with it, do you guys think it will be a must do thing or could I just change a spring ? Also if I still carry a stock 25 inch front tire and wheel for a spare would that be ok , it actually measure 26 plus with 11 psi in it. I'm looking for info from you guys !! Thanks so much

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey rob what's your thoughts on the spare tire diameter I just checked my front 25 and it's not as close to 26 as I was thinking ?? It would get me out of a pinch but don't want to tear up the diffs??, ps also may try and make the JBS ride this year

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
It's fine. Use two wheel drive if it's on the front and if you have a flat on the rear, move a front to the back and put the spare on the front. It will serve its purpose, to get you back to camp

Sent from The Green Machine

·
Registered
77 Posts
It's fine. Use two wheel drive if it's on the front and if you have a flat on the rear, move a front to the back and put the spare on the front. It will serve its purpose, to get you back to camp

Sent from The Green Machine
This. You want to avoid two different size tires on the rear axle since it's a spool and has no differential action. You can get away with it in the front if you don't run diff lock.

That having been said, you could probably get away with running different sizes in the rear as long as you are on low traction surface and take it easy and there isn't a huge difference in size. Not much different than what you see when making turns on asphalt where your tires scrub due to the lack of differential action and both are forced to turn at the same rate. It's that skinny pedal on the right that is usually responsible for broken axles and u-joints. Certainly stay away from high speed straight running though as handling might be a bit unpredictable although you can expect it to pull to the side of the smaller tire.

Tires I'm looking at are the 26" Sedona Rip Saw. Amazon has them. I have one currently as a spare, although in 25" to go with the stock rubber for now. I should be able to go with the 26" rubber and still fit it into my trailer. As it is now I've got a little over an inch clearance under the bottom bunk with stock tires and suspension. Otherwise I'll need to bind up the suspension or deflate tires.

Sent from under a mesquite tree while sipping on cholla juice.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts