Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while I was off hunting earlier this month I came to the conclusion that more power would certainly be welcome for the Viking. I never thought about it while playing out in the desert behind my house with it, but once you start getting up in elevation and deal with more vertical trails, the naturally aspirated 686cc starts to suffer. Low gear helps for some, but at one spot over the 9000 foot level I was trying to make my way up a hill and she just couldn't do it. Didn't have enough oomph to keep up a head of steam to keep moving forward and floating on top of the trail. Trail was a crusted layer of dirt over a soft layer and it got to where I was down in diff lock and all four tires were just spinning on the stuff. Wasn't high centered, although I quickly would have been had I kept digging. Granted if I really needed to get past that section I could have busted out the winch although it became even steeper the further up the trail you go but not so much more so than what I've taken on down around the 2000' level.

On the way down came across a feller in a RZR1000 2 seat (on 30"s I think) mentioned that part of the trail to him and he seemed interested. He mostly dune blasted and had the five point harnesses and spare belt hanging from the passenger grab handle to prove it. Never ran into him again though to find out if he tried it.

Running up one main trail as the hard dirt trail neared the peak at around 8300' I could keep it floored and it it was all I could to keep it from dropping under 20mph. Granted this was in high as I wasn't stopping in the middle of the drive to shift into low as I worked my way from the bottom around 6500.

So more power would certainly be welcome. Turbo would certainly address the power at elevation. You can just feel the machine half suffocated while trying to climb hills. Heck, just exerting your own body it feels like you can't get enough air at times.

Sent from under a mesquite tree while sipping on cholla juice.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Huh that's odd, I've been up over 10,000 ft with mine and never suffered from power loss, but I usually go low gear and 4 wheel drive before I even start climbing, 27" tires, stock otherwise

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S5....and a lenght of string

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Yup. I could have gone to low gear but it winds out around 30 which is what we cruised at most time. The steep part I mentioned was done in low/lock.

When coming back loaded with an Elk I stopped to put it in low to avoid any drama.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Maybe try trading for a can-am. Problem solved. I love my vi. Me and my family have a blast in it every weekend. No complaints!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Rule of thumb I was given was 7% power loss per 1000' of elevation. I don't know how accurate this is, however, if close that would bring the Vike's 47HP engine down to about 24HP at 9000'.

·
Enjoying my Viking
540 Posts
I had mine all up in them WV mountains, I don't know what elevation they were at but it performed as usual?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts