Yamaha Viking Forum banner
61 - 80 of 106 Posts

·
Banned
177 Posts
Sorry... not sure why I posted twice , I had crappy cell signal all night...

Ironhide.au I definitely want new tires , unfortunately I'll prob have to wait until the stock tires wear out. I want bigger tires and when I do I def want the extra JBS power !

Mash-n-trash .. Do spacers have any down side to them for average trail riding ? I get the general idea of what their purpose , but what's the down side ? I'm assuming they affect travel ... Do they damage the spring over time?

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You only lose 1" of compression travel, and you will feel VERY little ANY difference. Unfortunately, the sagging issue is just something that pretty much everyone of us has had to deal with. As far as damaging the spring goes...most would argue that the spring is insufficient from the get go anyways. You are doing nothing but adding a preload to the coils.
I would highly recommend the "Strong Made" lift kit at some point. This particular kit will allow you to lift the rear more than the front so you can keep it level. As a side note, in the beginning mine sagged to the point that I installed just the rear lift alone to level it out. This was before they came out with the spacers.
For me, the $250ish it cost for the VI shocks was money well spent. Having said that, if you're not going to be hauling much of anything, $25 for the spacers is CHEAP!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I took a minute and looked up the kit , 150 dollars is not to bad :icon_thumbright:.

So what is your current setup as you sit today ? 2 inch lift and Viking VI shocks ? I'm one of the weird people who likes to somewhat keep their center of gravity down, do you notice much difference in stability at all ?

Thanks

·
Registered
23 Posts
I put the VI shocks on the back only. I also have a 3" lift in which I set it at 3" in the rear and 2" in the front. This keeps it level. FYI: The VI shocks will put you at the same place you would be if you just put the $25 spacers on it. However, with the VI shocks you will also gain more load carrying capability and it won't settle as much when you haul stuff. I couldn't tell the difference in ride either. I carry quite a bit of weight when I'm hunting, so I am going to add the spacers to the VI shocks as well.
Thanks a bunch, VI rear shocks on there way.

·
Banned
177 Posts
I took a minute and looked up the kit , 150 dollars is not to bad :icon_thumbright:.

So what is your current setup as you sit today ? 2 inch lift and Viking VI shocks ? I'm one of the weird people who likes to somewhat keep their center of gravity down, do you notice much difference in stability at all ?

Thanks
I am running the VI shocks and have the lift kit set at 3" for the rear and 2" for the front....no spacers (YET). I know what you are saying about "center of gravity" however I was more interested in ground clearance. Before the lift, I was constantly bottoming out on the rocks. Add the fact that my style of riding is such that, if my tires leave the ground or my feet get wet...I have made a SERIOUS error in judgment!
Remember, I have the OEM cargo box (FULL of stuff), Rhino liner, OEM Bed mat and spare tire w/ carrier. So you are probably not going to need everything I have. Even with everything I have done (including 27" tires) I am only at 12.5" of clearance.
Again, if you are not going to be carrying much, I would just do the spacers. If you find it sags to the point it no longer sits level you could always go to the lift kit. If you do think you might carry stuff, then start with the VI shocks as they will put you at pretty much the same spot as you will be by adding the spacers...but the VI shocks are more robust and will handle loads better.
Have you measured your clearance yet?

·
Registered
63 Posts
I just measured and I have about 11.3 to 11.5 depending on how it's sitting in my garage. Now of course I only have 14 miles on it with 4 hours

Thanks for all the info and insight and trouble shooting

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am running the VI shocks and have the lift kit set at 3" for the rear and 2" for the front....no spacers (YET). I know what you are saying about "center of gravity" however I was more interested in ground clearance. Before the lift, I was constantly bottoming out on the rocks. Add the fact that my style of riding is such that, if my tires leave the ground or my feet get wet...I have made a SERIOUS error in judgment!
Remember, I have the OEM cargo box (FULL of stuff), Rhino liner, OEM Bed mat and spare tire w/ carrier. So you are probably not going to need everything I have. Even with everything I have done (including 27" tires) I am only at 12.5" of clearance.
Again, if you are not going to be carrying much, I would just do the spacers. If you find it sags to the point it no longer sits level you could always go to the lift kit. If you do think you might carry stuff, then start with the VI shocks as they will put you at pretty much the same spot as you will be by adding the spacers...but the VI shocks are more robust and will handle loads better.
Have you measured your clearance yet?
Have you thought about putting the VI shocks on the front also?

·
Registered
23 Posts
I have not had any issues with the fronts sagging. I also have the Strongmade lift kit and have the front set at 2"...so I still have more left if needed.
I have the rear VI coming, the Strongmade lifts also, I was just wondering if I should order spacers and put all 4 in while stuff is tore apart.

·
Premium Member
540 Posts
You only lose 1" of compression travel, and you will feel VERY little ANY difference.

MNT, just a thought but if the springs are already sagging an inch or so and you add the 1" spacers, wouldn't that be a total loss of +/- 2" of compression travel? I only ran mine for a very short time and while I couldn't hardly notice any difference in ride, I didn't really take them off road and put the shock travel to the test. Just thinking out loud.....

·
Banned
177 Posts
You only lose 1" of compression travel, and you will feel VERY little ANY difference.

MNT, just a thought but if the springs are already sagging an inch or so and you add the 1" spacers, wouldn't that be a total loss of +/- 2" of compression travel? I only ran mine for a very short time and while I couldn't hardly notice any difference in ride, I didn't really take them off road and put the shock travel to the test. Just thinking out loud.....
I suppose you might look at it that way. I was looking strictly at the fact that you add the spacer and, upon full compression, you would bottom out 1" sooner. Having said that...at the rate some of these sag, you don'y have to go far at all before they do bottom out.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Installed VI shocks on rear today. Started with 9 1/2, after install and short ride I'm at 10 3/4". Thats with yamaha bed mat, EMP rear bumper and Rhino shield inside and outside of box, which alone adds more weight than I thought it would. Took box off by myself, but needed a hand to put it back on, after rhino shield. I have to figure out how to reduce size of photos. Take it for a short spin tomorrow then install Strong Made lift and winch.

After morning ride and looking at pictures. The before and after is 9- 1/4" increased to 10 - Light Coil Coil spring Household hardware Auto part
Automotive tire Automotive design Bicycle part Rim Automotive exterior
3/4". VI rear springs alone, an increase of 1- 1/2"

Pictures I took this morning with phone. You can definitely see the difference in coil spacing. Happy with results. Now Strong Made lift.

·
Registered
23 Posts
OOPS!!! Sorry all, forgot turn phone sideways.

61 - 80 of 106 Posts