Yamaha Viking Forum banner

Rear Suspension Sag - Yamaha Claim

69K views 105 replies 26 participants last post by  marcus 
#1 ·
I took it upon myself, lol...to get the ball rolling and try to contact Yamaha regarding the rear sag issue.

I'll update this thread as much as possible and as soon as I get any updates from Yamaha, if they even reply/listen to our concerns.

Here's a toast in hopes that they listen and try to assist us in these trying times.

See less See more
#2 ·
If I could get some of you guys to post pics of your springs, that would be great. If someone isn't experiencing this issue, please post a pic of your springs.

#3 ·
FYI: I opened a claim almost 8 months ago and have been getting nothing but a run around ever since! I was told that there is no customer service e-mail for issues like this and that I had to call Customer relations. (800-962-7926)
For those of you that have not checked, as per Yamaha's own spec sheet, you should have 11.8" if clearance. They even have a promo video (look under "Viking features") that claims...quote, "nearly 12 inches of class leading ground clearance." 2015 Yamaha Viking Video, movies . Completely stock with under 100 easy miles I was already down to 10.5 inches of clearance. You might not think it's that big of a deal but wait until you need it! Ground clearance IS a big deal for a SXS!

How many of you have checked your ground clearance measured at the bottom of your hitch? I'm curious to see how many others have this same problem?

The number again for customer relations is (800-962-7926)

#4 ·
Thanks for the info. I'll be calling today and dong my part to let Yamaha know there's an issue with the rear springs.

I'll measure mine but I just installed 1" coil spacers so I'm not sure if that's just a body lift or if it'll affect ground clearance....I'm still sporting the stock tires.

#5 ·
I went on a hunting trip and the rear saged to 6.5", with about 100lbs of load and driver, had to order a lift kit to get it off the ground, Went to the moter sports in tucson az and was told the there has not been a concern about the rear of the viking brought to there attaining as of 12/28/2014. Moter Sports said they would talk to yamaha and get back to me after they hear something. to date ( 1/14/2015 ) know call from moter sports or yamaha.

#7 ·
#17 ·
Lol :beer

Seriously though..... Tie down strap. The heavier duty ones. Used four of them.....kept ratcheting them u till I was able to remove the c-clip.

If anyone needs pics or even a vid, let me know and id be more than happy to supply some.

There's a video on YouTube.... How to remove spring utv.

#18 ·
I basically followed this guys technique. I ended up buying four new straps to cut....I didn't trust my old straps.

[video=youtube;XfMBSZCI5Io]http://youtu.be/XfMBSZCI5Io[/video]

#19 ·
WOW!!!! If someone could just come up with a better coil we'de have it made. It would be much cheaper than a whole shock kit which can cost BIG bucks!

BTW: Bluerebel...GREAT info and thanks for the video! I think they advertise that those spacers would add approx 2". Did you measure before and after?

#20 · (Edited)
Yes sir.... The 1" (technically, they measure 7/8" plus the thickness of the shock cover makes it a 1" spacer) spacer gave me close to 2" of body lift.

The rear, measured right above the taillight, measured at 40-3/8" before lift..... After lift, it measured at 41-7/8"

I'll double check during my lunch but thats what it should be.

For $25.... Can't complain.

#22 ·
Well, after eight (8) days of waiting...Yamaha Outdoors has officially responded to my message.

Now, I'm going to ask the admins if its ok for me to shot them our URL????

#27 ·
I started complaining in Feb. Now...I have at least one of my shocks leaking fluid and the last word I got was. "You have installed larger tires and that may have contributed to the problem." Now they want me to bring mine in so they can take the shock off and send it back to the tech Folks so they can decide if they will warranty it. In the mean time, they said i could purchase a new shock and then IF they did warranty the old one I could get a refund. I brought up the fact that i had a claim about the sag and wanted to see if I could just get both of the shocks replaced. They gave me a bunch of crap about...the clearance on the Viking can change due to where you have it parked and what angle...and could even vary an inch or two just by rolling it ahead or backwards. I had around 10ish inches of clearance shortly after I bought it. As requested, I sent photos and opened a cliam. So far I have got nothing back other than total BS! They added a 2 year extended warranty when I purchased mine...so far, it's just a piece of toilet paper!

#28 ·
That to me is unacceptable.... Especially after you give them a bunch of your hard earned money. This is my second yamaha that I've bought new......shit like this will make you loose customers in a hurry.... Not to mention the bad word of mouth that will spread.

#31 ·
My dealer talkd me into the 14in wheels and 27in sti roctanes and they were on before it left the dealership

#34 ·
I know this has been brought up before but I'm hoping someone can answer this. The Viking VI shocks are more money and also a different part number. My thinking is that they might be a little more robust? Does anyone have a contact that could see if the VI shocks (if they are stronger) would work on the Viking? Maybe one of the VI Owners could pull one off and tell us the lenght of the VI shock?

#35 ·
I've been reading up on this as it crossed my mind as well. I'm tempted to buy all four and give them a try...I know the shock for the Viking and Viking VI are different part numbers so maybe the spring is stiffer....Either way, we shouldn't have to be swapping out shocks to keep the advertised ground clearance. We understand suspension settles but loosing almost 2" of ground clearance is a bit excessive IMHO.

#36 ·
VIKING 6 SHOCKS
FRONT- 2PG-F3390-00-00 $131.02/EA
REAR - 2PG-F2200-00-00 $144.55/EA

VIKING SHOCKS
FRONT - 1XD-F3390-00-00 $130.66/EA
REAR - 1XD-F2200-00-00 $98.54/EA

Now, the front shocks, price wise, aren't that much different....but look at the rears....that's a pretty good price hike.......I'm assuming they're different part numbers due to having stiffer springs to handle the Vikings 6 extra weight....especially in the rear.

Maybe we can get one of the forum vendors to pay for a set of rear shocks and have someone on here swap them out and see what difference they made.... :)

#37 ·
My dealer is pretty awesome and straight forward. I think im going to stop up after work tomorow and talk to them about putting the v6 shocks on the viking. Its really starting to piss me off. I shouldnt have to put a lift kit on just so i dont bottom out when i have a passenger with me. Id hate to see how low id sit if i had 3 adults in my sxs

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.