Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi: I was wondering if anyone has tried using skis and rear chains on their Viking and if so how does it work in deeper snow , say a foot or more ?

Thanks(new member)

·
Registered
77 Posts
Too deep (powder) and you'll likely high center on the snow. Can't imagine chains would help much except on ice if you already have deep enough tread lugs. Skis on the front would help it float the front but the rear end will be your problem sinking down with the belly pan bottoming on the snow as the rears try to paddle their way through. Much like deep mud or sand.

Now then for hard pack I'd just go with 4wd. Chains might give you more bite for traction but again, with deep tread lugs they'd probably get lost under those tread lugs instead of protruding out where they can get a purchase.

One of the reasons I live in the Mojave.

Sent from under a mesquite tree while sipping on cholla juice.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Muzzleloader , where are you located that you have 2' of snow? I'm in grand marais area and easy to get out at balsam ,most of area has been blown off .....good ice for atv's and sxs so far ,no shark fins on this side , ice needs to be thicker for vehicles

·
Registered
9 Posts
That looks great !!!!! It's what I'm planning to put on next year , are you happy with them ? Do you think they are decreasing the life of the belt? I've yet to see a video of a Viking with tracks going threw snow , pls post if you have 1......post is for big daddy 907

·
Registered
9 Posts
That looks great !!!!! It's what I'm planning to put on next year , are you happy with them ? Do you think they are decreasing the life of the belt? I've yet to see a video of a Viking with tracks going threw snow , pls post if you have 1

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We have a foot or more now in Roseisle. We fish at Pelican and there's a foot of snow there and a truck went part way through the ice last week. I may be headed out to chalet beach this week so it's good to know there's enough ice for my utv.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.