Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,
I am new to the forum and new to the world of sxs. I am looking into getting my first sxs. I have been riding ATVs for over 17 years so I have a general idea of what is going on, but I do have some questions and concerns. Looking at the forum I do see some pretty concerning issues with the Viking such as the exhaust heat, noise, and preheating the diff. All, in my opion, are pretty major. On the other hand I have a few ATVs which all are Yammi's, so I am already partial to the brand. Also I live in Mississippi which we get some extremely hot and sticky days. Are there any good simple mods to help keep the big boy cool on tose days where the heat index can top well over 100 degrees?

My questions are:
Should I wait to see what is Yam going to do about a new power plant?
Is the 700 going to be more than sufficent enough to tow my 5x8 trailer loaded with firewood or riding mower?
Is Yam going to do some updates to help with the diff and noise issue?
How does the 700 perform when its under a load considering that the Viking is a tad bigger than the Rhino?

As you can see I am not a speed demon so HP isn't my game. I'm more concerned about pulling power seeing these other machines with the vtwins and big cc numbers is making me wonder how well does those machines do in towing and hauling.
I was thinking about getting a Pioneer considering the cheaper price, but not having a low range for what I am buying this machine for is...I'm not sure because I never drove a Pioneer. I don't know how that tranny will like having a 1200-1400ib trailer behind it lol

So basically what I am looking for is a sxs to ride on gravel roads, tow my trailer, carry some wood and tools, and something for my dad to hunt with. What are you guys/gals thoughts?

Thanks in advance and please excuse me if my questions seem a bit dumb...

·
Registered
27 Posts
Papaslim- I started a thread similar to the one you are starting that had a lot of similar questions. Check out my another viking comparative thread in the timeline. It's got a lot of good information that might even get you started. Just like you I fear the lack of power might be in issue for me. I'm coming from a moderately modded Terex 750. I would hate to take a step backwards but love many of the features in the pricing that the Viking offers. I will certainly be keeping an eye on your thread as well and look forward to hearing what you have to say and others in your future purchase. Good luck!

Sent from my twin-turbo charged iPad using Tapatalk...but I'm having trouble dialing in the boost so bear with me!

·
Registered
78 Posts
I see you drive a 450 Grizz. After a good run check the diff temp with a infraRed thermometer.
All Yamaha atv and sxs independent rear diffs run hot. It's not so much the exhaust placement. It's more the lack of heat transfer from the natural heat build up from the diffs operation to the old axle tube and swing arm set up.
It's not an issue.
If you drive a pickup they also get warm, but they can transfer the heat to the axle housings.
Every Yamaha I've owned with rear independent suspension gets very hot to the touch.

As of the Honda, a friend we ride with has the 4. It's a great machine. It lacks low end power due to the automatic transmission. It shifts no matter your empty or towing. He is awaiting a Honda with low range. The cab is louder than the viking, Your sitting on the engine.

As for noise in the Viking it's much quiter than my T4. The Vikings now come with a sound damping kit behind the seats.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I see you drive a 450 Grizz. After a good run check the diff temp with a infraRed thermometer.
All Yamaha atv and sxs independent rear diffs run hot. It's not so much the exhaust placement. It's more the lack of heat transfer from the natural heat build up from the diffs operation to the old axle tube and swing arm set up.
It's not an issue.
If you drive a pickup they also get warm, but they can transfer the heat to the axle housings.
Every Yamaha I've owned with rear independent suspension gets very hot to the touch.

As of the Honda, a friend we ride with has the 4. It's a great machine. It lacks low end power due to the automatic transmission. It shifts no matter your empty or towing. He is awaiting a Honda with low range. The cab is louder than the viking, Your sitting on the engine.

As for noise in the Viking it's much quiter than my T4. The Vikings now come with a sound damping kit behind the seats.
I know my Grizz diff get much hotter than my so loved and faithful BearTracker. I figured the Honda wouldn't have much torque due to the tranny. I was also looking at the T2 800 because it runs about the same price wise with the Viking. I also like the storage on the T2, but I'm the type of person that keeps vehicles for years and years so I was concerned about reliability and durability with the other brands.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Lol I had a bear tracker too.. Sold it when I got the viking... I wish I kept it.. It was in great shape and never gave me a lick of trouble

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've been had my bear tracker since 2000 and refuse to sale it. the only thing that i've doen was put new tire and replaced the battery. Other than that she's been running strong

·
Registered
10 Posts
I was going thru the same looking at sxs's then I was at a dealer and he had me drive a Kawasaki Mule Pro Fxt and I was sold. I bought it 2 weeks ago and love this thing you may want to look at one you may like as I do...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was going thru the same looking at sxs's then I was at a dealer and he had me drive a Kawasaki Mule Pro Fxt and I was sold. I bought it 2 weeks ago and love this thing you may want to look at one you may like as I do...
I looked at one of those too. I really like the 3 cylinder engine idea. it is an option too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Yamaha is the best.
I pull a 12 x 7 trailer full of random stuff all the time.
It is plenty fast for work or fun.
Wrap the exhaust and forget about it.
Good Luck.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Yamaha is the best.
I pull a 12 x 7 trailer full of random stuff all the time.
It is plenty fast for work or fun.
Wrap the exhaust and forget about it.
Good Luck.
And if its as reliable as the grizzlys and rhinos then everyone should be happy for life...until they come out with a vtwin viking

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And if its as reliable as the grizzlys and rhinos then everyone should be happy for life...until they come out with a vtwin viking
Let's dream big. What about a 3 or 4 cyclinder lol that would definately move the big V around with ease.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Let's dream big. What about a 3 or 4 cyclinder lol that would definately move the big V around with ease.
You know that would be awesome. Here's the catch just like can am commanders though, they've built those machines to be so big and powerful the reliability is just gone. Sure, some folks have had great luck, but most, only keep it because of the power and comfort. Check out the commander forums some time and see if you can count on all your fingers and toes the mods you have to do to make it reliable.
Tie rods, steering rack, bushings, fan switch mod, belts, clutches, cab heat (makes the viking heat look like a joke) ground clearance, clutch blower, clutch air temp gauge, limp mode, overheating, tire clearance issues, engine lights. This is just what I've read never mind owning one!
I found my teryx to be fairly reliable and my grizzly was bullet proof and a buddy still running it strong. You get up to that kind of power and I don't believe the rest of the machine will be able to handle it. Look at maverick and xp1ks. Same thing. So much catastrophic failure that is unheard of on smaller bore machines. They are fast, fun, and handle, but most people like myself have to find a balance of fun, reliability, function, and price. Those high dollar high maintenance machines are out for me until the wife gets a second job to support my bad habbits

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
You know that would be awesome. Here's the catch just like can am commanders though, they've built those machines to be so big and powerful the reliability is just gone. Sure, some folks have had great luck, but most, only keep it because of the power and comfort. Check out the commander forums some time and see if you can count on all your fingers and toes the mods you have to do to make it reliable.
Tie rods, steering rack, bushings, fan switch mod, belts, clutches, cab heat (makes the viking heat look like a joke) ground clearance, clutch blower, clutch air temp gauge, limp mode, overheating, tire clearance issues, engine lights. This is just what I've read never mind owning one!
I found my teryx to be fairly reliable and my grizzly was bullet proof and a buddy still running it strong. You get up to that kind of power and I don't believe the rest of the machine will be able to handle it. Look at maverick and xp1ks. Same thing. So much catastrophic failure that is unheard of on smaller bore machines. They are fast, fun, and handle, but most people like myself have to find a balance of fun, reliability, function, and price. Those high dollar high maintenance machines are out for me until the wife gets a second job to support my bad habbits
Rather then tailoring it to be a speed deamon, if they use an engine that size and tune and build it for work like Kaw's Mule FXT I think it would be reliable. We are talking about Yamaha the most reliable machines out there. Tune it for low end grunt and pulling power would be perfect. or maybe even a DIESEL.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I think the Viking is capable of towing lol. [video=youtube;LFtrpx9N20A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LFtrpx9N20A[/video]

Here is another one... [video=youtube;AgcyX8hhh2k]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AgcyX8hhh2k[/video]

1 - 15 of 15 Posts