Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wanted to give a heads up to Viking guys ( or gals ). We rode Windrock Off Road Park in Tennessee , had a great time, WAY up on the mountain my son alerted me to a smell....coolant. Sure enough, I got out and looked and it was puking out the overflow tube . Long story short, the radiator was caked with mud, oh and the hi temp light was on. didn't notice it due tu fighting the trails. Friend had a pump sprayer and we found a water supply on the mountain, otherwise I would have been done. This may be common knowledge for most seasoned riders. but for you guys just getting started , keep a check on it if you go through alot of mud holes, and pack a yard sprayer full of water with you in that huge bed. Saved my day.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I ran into the same problem. I'm only guessing in no mechanic but after it overheated my thermal switch burned up and my thermostat failed to the open position. I'm assuming from getting so hot? I replaced thermal switch was on back order and reported thermostat. Working good now. ROB I too ordered a temp guage now and will install fan override when my switch panel comes in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
Rob did u run your override off of the relay contacts? I jumped em and it will run with even the ignition switch off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3 Posts
Rookie here: I had the same problem this weekend after a couple of days on the desert trails. I've only had my VI for about a month and have used the crap out of it. Probably didn't clean the radiator well enough after mudding. Will you please tell me what the fan override and temp gauge do to help this annoying problem? I (and my kids) were super aggravated to have to stop and wait for the cool down only to heat up again.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The fan over ride is where you bypass all the sensors and have the fan wired to a toggle switch you can activate at any time,I found the hot wire coming off the relay and wired into it that.I also installed a temp gauge to watch the temp starts getting hot i trigger the fan manually instead of waiting on the computer.Mine still works like stock but I have the manual option.I also installed some very fine stainless steel wire mesh behind my grill to catch some of the larger stuff before it hits the radiator works really well.There are company's that make radiator guards.The fan stock is set to com on at 206 and cut off at 195,I usually use the over ride after a hard pull through mud or hard climbs .

1 - 6 of 6 Posts