Yamaha Viking Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is a warn 3000lb. winch big enough? i see most people go with 3,500lb but the dealer said 3000lb was big enough. im not so sure. i see guys put 3500lb winches on atvs and these things are alot heavier. thank you

·
Registered
52 Posts
I bought a 3500 lb viper winch and the cost was like $35 more than the 3000lb. I'm sure the 3000lb will work fine but if cost isn't to much more I would go 3500lb. I've used mine a few times already and it worked flawlessly.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks uprider. ill talk to the dealer tomorrow and see what the price difference is

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
I wouldn't go less than 3500

Sent from my iPhone using Off-Road Forums

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks viking2k14. im definitly gona go with either a 3500 or 4000lb. i thought 3000 sounded kinda weak

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
No problem, only reason i went with the Yamaha 3500 was this, I put money down on my Viking, and got the first one the dealer recieved back in August of last year, so i didnt know what would fit or not. So just went with what i knew would, and got the biggest Winch Yamaha sold. I had a 2010 Polaris Ranger 500, it had a Polaris 4500 on it. So, i really wanted atleast a 4500 on my Viking, but like i said, didnt know what would work at the time.

If you've got the money, id go with a 4500, better to have more than enough, than less than enough ya know. 3500 would be fine though.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ok thanks. ill see what the dealer can do. i dont know if he gets some kind of deal on them or what but he said he puts the 3000lb on all of them. and it was only $400 installed. i would install it myself but just had surgery last month, very hard to do anything with one hand. lol.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
another quick question. wire or synthetic rope??

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Yeah, you'd probally save some $$$ Getting the winch elsewhere, but i can understand what your saying. I think the Yamaha/Warn 3500 has a lifetime warranty, and hey, if 3500 is ever not enough, could always use a snatchblock.

Far as the cable goes, regular cable is fine imo. The syn cable is lighter and safer. But if you are like me, and rarely will use it, id go cable. Ive always regular cable, no problems.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks again viking..i appreciate the advice

·
Registered
52 Posts
$400 installed seems like a good price. I got two quotes before buying mine and both places were $700-$750 on 3000lb winch. As far as syn rope or cable. Well I use my winch quite a bit and after having to deal with the cable one for a few years and then buying the syn rope its a no brainer for me. The rope is just easier to work with and you don't get cut up by the rope like you do with the cable. Yes I know you can wear gloves but with the rope its a non issue. Also the rope is strong and works great. Just giving you my experience with it.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks guys. i appreciate all of the advice. im definitely going to try to get a heavier one. ive been riding for alot of years and never needed a winch but id be really p.o.d if i did need it qnd didnt have enough power.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks for all the helpful input guys. i ended up going with a warn 3500lb winch. its the biggest yamaha said they carried.o well like viking 2k14 said. if its not big enuff ill use a snatch block. also the price was more expensive than i thought. the 400 bucks for the 3000lb was without install. install is another $150. bummer but with a torn rotator cuff i cant do it. so i ended up with the 3500 installed for $700. but at least i dont hqve to pay install for the bedmat. lol.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts