Yamaha Viking Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Made my own windshield for the Viking for $180 out of 1/4" lexan... A lot better than the 475 Yamaha wants!
awesome job on the windshield. I was thinking about doing the same thing. What did you use for clamps and what did you use to cut the wavy lines
over the hood? I have never done anything with lexan.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
lexan is very easy to work with wont break or crack like plexiglass.... the clamps are 2" clamps from an ebay store called zoro tools. they also have a website Zoro Tools Industrial Supplies.. the weatherstripping comes in a 6' length from rockymountainatv.com.... bolts from the hardware store.... my dad and I started with a piece of cardboard larger than the roll bar opening and began cutting to get between the bars... (stay within a 1/4" of the bars so your clamps reach, or as tight as you can! lexan is easy to cut some off or belt sand down some)after the cardboard was snug.. we used a compass (what you draw circles with) to draw a pattern on the cardboard as it rode across the hood.. but hell,, its cardboard just cut and fit, and cut and fit... local glass shop cut the 1/4" lexan to shape for 160 bucks...I love it and most of all the money I saved...

·
Premium Member
571 Posts
Great job there, looks like one you'd pay Yamaha's price for.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Does the full windshield cause problems with sucking in dust and fumes? Everything I read about windshields indicates a they create some kind of vortex effect that
pulls in everything from the road and back of the machine. I am thinking about testing a half windshield using a piece of thin plywood to see what the effect is before
I buy the lexan.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does the full windshield cause problems with sucking in dust and fumes? Everything I read about windshields indicates a they create some kind of vortex effect that
pulls in everything from the road and back of the machine. I am thinking about testing a half windshield using a piece of thin plywood to see what the effect is before
I buy the lexan.
It depends. Sometimes a full windshield can cause the air to tumble around the cab. Making it seem like it sucks the dirt in. The way to eliminate this is by adding a back window. That keeps the tumble effect from happening and keeps the interior air nice and dust free.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Ordered one of the Nylon/Velcro vinyl windshields today just to keep most of the cold air off the upper body. It was only $40. I will update when it comes in and
let the group know how well it works. They didn't have one specifically for the Viking yet so I got the biggest one they had at 55x26 inches. With the Velcro straps
it should fit ok. For the price and the ease of off and on I figured it might be worth a shot. If not I am planning on making a 2 section one out of lexan.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Possum--are you talking about the rear winshield? I haven't seen a vinyl one anywhere, where did you get it from?

·
Registered
9 Posts
hey tmcelheny, are you taking orders for them? lol---where do you buy lexan from?

·
Registered
32 Posts
I ordered it from coverbonanza.com for $40 shipping included. The bad news is I just got an email from them saying due to high
demand they won't be able to ship until jan 24! I am going to cancel and try some other suppliers. This was a cover for the front windshield
measuring 55X26-should work on the Viking. They had rear covers listed but none spefically for the Viking-I will post again if I find someone
that has them in stock.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Just ordered again from Cabelas this time-same product 7 bucks more-they had one in stock and should be here in around a week. saw some rear vinyl covers
made for other brands. I may wait til spring on that and hope they make one specifically for the Viking. Right now I just need something to break the wind. My wife
is complaining about freezing from the wind. I told her to slow down to 40mph and it would help. She likes going fast. 37F in NE Indiana this morning.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts